Saturday, April 29, 2006

Seahawks 2nd Round Pick Is...DARRYL TAPP



Scouting Reports:

NFL DRAFT COUNTDOWN

Strengths:
Very productive pass rusher at the college level...Shows great strength...Intense and has a motor that never stops...Instinctive and flows to the ball...Technically sound and knows how to use leverage to his advantage...Has a great burst and really closes well...Does a good job of adjusting in space...A team leader and hard worker with top intangibles...A playmaker who is always around the action.

Weaknesses:
Lacks idea size in terms of height...Speed, quickness and natural athleticism are only average...Doesn't do a great job versus the run...Can be overwhelmed by larger offensive lineman...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Must develop a wider array of pass rush moves for the next level...Could be a classic case of a top college player whose game doesn't translate well to the pros.

Notes:
The type of player who doesn't have the measurables you look for but just makes plays once the whistle blows...Could be a controversial prospect who doesn't go nearly as high as his college press clippings would lead you to believe...You never want to underestimate someone with this guy's fire and positive attitude.



Check's Take:

Darryl Tapp, DE, Virginia Tech, is one of those high motor, high energy, hard working, good character types that Tim Ruskell absolutely loves.

At 6'1" and 260 lbs, Tapp is strong, well built and powerful, plays quick, but not with great top end speed which caused him to drop a little during the draft. Slightly undersized for a DE, but is an excellent pass rusher who played hell with D'Brickashaw Fergusen and . He is a quick, tough and active type player that fits well with Seattles current DE and overall defensive philosophy. He is a smart, hard worker that is willing to put in the time in the weight room and the film room, from what I can tell.


The overall impression I get is that this is the prototypical Ruskell pick. A+ attitude, and possibly the hardest worker in college football last year. My personal opinion, is that given what Tatupu and Hill did for us last year, this is a superb selection, and I anticipate a definite and noticable impact.

No doubt ADP will post something soon, I'm just covering the void.
Response: Thanks for filling in Check! This was an unexpected visit that came outta left field. I have this updated with a ton of new information. - ADP



Scouting Report 2
Scouting Report 3
Scouting Report 4
Scouting Report 5
Scouting Report 6
Predraft Question And Answer
College Career Overview

Interview With Ruskell On Tapp From Mike Sando's Blog

Images From Scout.com And Espn.com

MUST SEE Video - Courtesy Of Seahawk Blue (Thanks Again, TC!)

18 comments:

  1. Although with Tapp, I wasn't prescient, like I was with Jennings; he was the guy that I had HOPED we would pick.
    Honestly, had I been GM this year, I would have done EXACTLY the same as Ruskell did this year. Problem is, while that makes me happy that we got the guys I had hoped, it worries me. Last years draft, was no where near what I had wanted going into it, and it worked out so well. This year is EXACTLY what I wanted...hopefully it will work out just as well.

    Both these two are such Ruskell type guys, high motor, game smarts, slightly undersized, but team guys with a strong desire to win.

    I give this draft so far an A+. Again, that scares me though, last years draft I thought was a D- at best, (at least until I read more about guys like Lofa and Hill and started believing), and I turned out to be happily wrong. Hopefully the fact that I am so happy with this draft, won't jinx it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job filling in Check. Listening to the Sando audio from Sando's blog regarding the kid now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added a link on the main page of this topic to the audio interview with Ruskell re: Tapp from Mike Sando's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have a link w/video shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way, monkey. But I think the difference between this year and last is that I understand so much more - about what can really be accomplished with the 'right attitude' with players, especially. I understand what Ruskell and co. are aiming for, what they do not tolerate, and the great results that come from their policy. If I were just coming on board this season, I would probably be griping about these picks. But now that I get it, I'm ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Daryl Tapp. The guy is small but he can play. He is also coming into a good situation here in Seattle. He probably won't be a starter so he can learn and develop completely with the coaches before being thrown in full time. I love this pick. I honestly don't expect big things from him in 2006 as i think Fisher and Wistrom have the job locked down and he will be a situational pass rusher on sure passing downs.

    I have heard nothing but good things from this guy and if he got the best of D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Ferguson completely neutralized Kiwanuka and we got Tapp 31 picks later i call it a great pick. I wish he was 10-20 pounds heavier but hey kid got game.

    Again i love him but don't expect anything big from him this year. Don't expect a Lofa, leroy type year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. check, thanks so much for filling in...seriously...i havent seen this friend in about 4 months...tied as my best friend, so yeah...came outta left field

    sorry i couldnt fulfill my commitment...but ill bounce back tomorrow.

    Me and Blue called both picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. meezy,

    I'm not so sure - I see him as earning lots of PT this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see him earning playing time too as a situational pass rusher on passing downs. He might have an important impact like Bware did his 1st year i just don't think he will be the starter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The "must see" video doesn't seem to be working.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What I like about the Tapp selection is that Seattle adds pass rush, an area that is already a strength.

    He is not drafted as a starter, obviously. Seattle needs depth at DE though, after having lost Rodney Bailey to FA, and Tapp allows John Marshall to keep pressure on the qb from the front seven for four quarters. It also allows the team to leave Tafoya on special teams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Video is on page 17 if you need to go get it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alright, finally I get to add my take in here!

    Darryl Tapp as you probably have read already, shouldn't of fell to us this far, and could of very well been our first pick. I LOVE this pick...and he'll be starting sooner than you think. He will prolly be DE #3 in our rotation...and with his Wistrom-like coverage skills...he could drop back while we blitz a LB forward. Off topic a bit, but would be neat to see 5 dlinesman on the field...all at the line...and have 4 rush the pass while one drops back...would be hard to guess which one drops...

    I think at the latest, by next season, he will be our #1 starter. YUP. This guy, if you're vague on college football is one of the more popular names out there...the reason being that he was a big time leader for V Tech...he only fell being undersized.

    This pick coincides with Jennings' pick, simply because both only fell for being undersized. Jennings was the #2 or #3 CB in the draft...his size made that otherwise...Tapp was the #2 or #3 DE in the draft...again, size killed him (does not include Lawson who is a classic tweener)

    Im happy to announce, given Seattle's unpredictable drafts...its quite awesome both me and Blue nailed those two picks. My draft was shaken early on...but you'd be amazed at how many picks i nailed in Round 2-4...ok enough with my ego...Good times...we got a good one...and for once, he isn't a couple years in...this guy is ultra young...and has a good 10 years ahead of him

    ReplyDelete
  14. ADP, I'm not sure, but I could search and prove, I think I may have called for Tapp or Dumervil as our pick during the "Abraham scandal". Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  15. then Josch, too!

    I didnt make any predictions until i left for a couple weeks leading up to the draft...came back and called out mines before the whole world started 'copying' (:P)

    ReplyDelete
  16. y'all are some kinda all knowin' sages aroun' these here parts. how do you fit all them brains in yo'r heads?

    ReplyDelete
  17. He have big heads. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You talk like me, buddy! ;)

    ReplyDelete