Monday, April 24, 2006

Upon further review...

No, this isn't another Superbowl officiating thread, but a piece regarding an exciting new announcement from NFL Networks.

Starting this season, NFL Network will begin airing games from the pervious Sunday on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. There will be two games each night, with a 5:30pm and 8:30pm ET start times.

NFL Game Re-Airs will play in a 90-minute fast-paced format without halftime and other elements not critical to the outcome. NFL Game Re-Airs will tell the story of the game with additional features.

In order to give the games context, NFL Network will add sideline and on-field sound captured during the game and postgame press conference sound bites.

For example, if NFL Game Re-Airs was featuring the Colts-Steelers AFC Divisional Playoff where Jerome Bettis fumbled late in the game, viewers would see related comments from Bettis, Bill Cowher and others immediately after the play, as well as slow-motion footage showing the play as it unfolded.

For those who get NFL Network, this offers up to 75 more potential opportunities to catch the Seattle Seahawks in action. Unfortunately, for those of us with Sunday NFL Ticket, it furter devalues the service with each nationally available Seahawks game!

I'm guessing this will be a replacement for the abbreviated Games of the Week that NFL Network used to show last season.

In my opinion, this is a GREAT announcement, as it will give us more chances to see our favorite team in action, complete with behind the scenes coverage, or at least to scout upcoming opponents who we may not get to see locally.

What do you think?

(to comment, click the green number to the right of the title above)

3 comments:

  1. You should've put this at the top. I came to the page a few times earler but didn't see it thank god for the e-mail telling me bout it. I have NFL network and i live in Seattle so that great for me. Sorry alba but u gotta love the national attention. This should be good but is it really any different then game of the week.

    So does the NFL Network just pick which games it will show on those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it's up to the NFL Network to cherry pick the "best" games from the previous Sunday.

    I think it will be better than the Game of the Week since they'll be 90 minutes long, and should show every substantive play.

    I left the email alerts thing on top since I'm trying to drum up business leading up to the Draft. As your post indicates, it's a good thing to be signed up for email alerts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Washington, although far out of blackout range (as if that will come into play this season...) I never miss a game, unless it's solely on ESPN (or now the NFL Network,) as I don't have expanded cable (on Charter it's too expensive--thanks, Mr. Paul Allen!...) So, this announcement applies to me absolutely not at all. The purpose of this post is to say I'm still alive, and like you, I"m wondering if ADP shares the respirative success I so enjoy.

    ReplyDelete