Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Spencer For Hire!

Contributor's Note: While NFL teams are behind closed doors preparing for the 2006 NFL Draft, we are experiencing an 'informational famine' in Seahawks land. To help ease the pain, I'll be resurrecting some old posts associated with last year's draft. This first installment was orginally published by albaNYHawker on April 24, 2005. Be sure to listen to the audio - It's a good refresher of what we could be looking forward to in Spencer's emergence as a team leader this season.

Seahawks.com has a few audio interviews with and about our #1 pick, and he sounds like a real down-to-earth kid who is genuinely excited about the opportunity to play in Seattle.

"I’m so excited; I’m trying to stop sweating. I can’t move right now."

"I’m real excited. All those veteran linemen they have up there, I want to get up there and learn from those guys, and block for Hasselbeck. Right now I’m speechless, my heart is racing fast."

"She’s (his fiance') from Vancouver, BC. She’ll be close to home, and her family will be excited. Her mom has been hoping that I would play in Seattle for a long time."
The kid sound pretty talented too.

"I think the strength of my game is run blocking. I was the high school state champion in power lifting, and my high school team played in the state championship game, and we ran the ball every down. We didn’t throw it one time. My high school team was a big running team. Getting in college, that is just something I love to do, and I really enjoy doing that."
And he passes the Ruskell "quality of character" test.

"They call me 'Hollywood'. They said I was running for mayor, because everybody on campus knew me, everybody in town knew me. Every where I go, my friends hated to go with me, because somebody was going to stop me and talk to me."
Spencer on being a Seahawk Windows Real

Ruskell on Spencer Windows Real

Holmgren on Spencer Windows Real

4 comments:

  1. Thank GOD there's a new post on this site, even if it's an OLD post! (and of course I'm flattered that it's one of mine!)

    I'm actually going to post some recruitment threads on the PI, ST and SeahawkBlue sites to try to generate some new interest in 12SS as we lead up to the draft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I'll soon be setting up the plan for the draft coverage as well. Last year when we did it, it generated more traffic than any other event of the year, including the Super Bowl. Great information was presented, it was in an organized fashion, and it was posted in real time.

    I'll have the plan up by the end of this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I appreciated about this post is the media files. This guy is going to be a great run blocker, wether he plays guard or center. It's so cool to have him on board, waiting in the wings, it's like we drafted him this year, only with a season of Pro Football School under his belt.

    One more time - "Who Hutch?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank god i love seeing a new post. This guy in the pre season looked really good. He is center that can pull when run blocking not many can do that pulling is for the guards i love Tobeck but he isn't good at pulling. By the way he is huge and can probably handle nose guards better than an aging Tobeck.

    ReplyDelete