Monday, January 16, 2006

Divisional Round: Moonlight Graham Award

How do you set out to write an award piece for the number one seed in the NFL, and try to talk about anyone stepping out of obscurity. While the national media still tends to doubt and disrespect us, this year's version of the Seattle Seahawks, and most guys on the roster, can hardly be defined as obscure.

So, for the playoffs, the Moonlight Graham award will go to the player who most STEPS UP his game, whether or not obscurity has anything to do with it.

Now, that doesn't mean that I'm gonna start doling these things out to Matt Hasselbeck, and Grant Wistrom, and Lofa Tatupu and the offensive line. Granted, all these guys stepped up HUGE, but we have to remain somewhat true to the roots of this award.

[Continued on Page 2]

6 comments:

  1. The MGA inspired by my nemesis, Peter King? Nooooooo! Here are some other King quotes from that MMQB:

    "4. New England (11-7). In the end, the Patriots just weren't clutch. Troy Brown muffing a punt? Adam Vinatieri missing a relative chip shot? Tom Brady missing open receivers in the end zone? Absolutely, downright bizarre."

    Followed by:

    "5. Seattle (14-3). I don't mean this as a rap, but watching Pats-Broncos and Steelers-Colts, is there any doubt the AFC is the superior conference right now? 'Hawks had better get some Krazy Glue for their return men."

    Yeah, 'cause Ellis Hobbs did a real bang-up job against Sauerbrun. ASS. And the coup de grace:

    "I must say I'm a fan of the skating, and though I missed the finals on TV..."

    I think all football writers should be required to at least PRETEND to hate ice skating one-fifth as much as I actually do.

    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, Rouen was awesome. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured I'm already saddled with the nickname Dr. A or Dr. Ass for somehow agreeing with Dr. Z, so why not admit to a little PK inspiration??!! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I get frustrated by PK and Z's preference for teams closer to them geographically, I give them credit for some good insights and good connections. Dr Z watches a hell of a lot of game tape in order to make informed decisions. 

    Posted by Uff

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! That part of the King analysis was the only part that I actually agreed with, when I read that, I thought to myself, "does this mean that Peter King actually has a brain?"
    But then later I realized that if you put 100 monkeys together in a room with typewriters, eventually something will come out that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't about 100 of 'em, but we're all happy for the one monkey we know always makes sense! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still think u should have given it to Matt Hasselbeck even if he has been the starter for a while and has done great all year lon. 

    Posted by o-meezy

    ReplyDelete