Friday, January 20, 2006

HAWKS v PANTHERS

I have previously made the comment about this game that I believe the Seahawks will win out over the Panthers because the discrepancies in our offenses is wider in Seattles favor than the discepancies in our defenses are in Carolinas. So at this time, I'd like to re-introduce myself, since I've been a bit of a ghost lately, and actually justify my stance.

We all know how potent Seattles offense is. Nobody has successfully contained us all year. But did we know how weak Carolina's offense has been? Steve Smith is a game breaker, and I love to watch the guy play, but at this point he is all they have. Please consult the offensive statistical rankings comparison shown. These categories are, as I believe the most significant stats used to judge offenses, and as you can see, Seattles offense ranks out much higher all accross the board than Carolinas.


Now please take a moment to view the defensive comparison shown. As you can see the 'Hawks defense is much closer to Carolinas in the statistical categories that I deem most significant. I must note, though, that the passing yardage, a glaring difference to be sure, is a blatantly misleading stat since Seattle has lead for the bulk of their 13 regular season victories, and have played content at allowing short passes that eat up the clock as well as the field.

My point seems obvious, Seattle is an elite offense, and their defense isn't just good, it's good enough.

If anybody sees a flaw in this, please voice your opinion, even Carolina fans, I will not degrade anybody that makes attempts at serious discussion, but if you retort with words like "poopy" and "sea-chickens" you will feel my considerable wrath. There are many people that will vouch for me when I say you don't want me to make you a target.

Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. interesting piece...very good job...

    and whats funny is, the thing killing us stastically on defense is the pass defense...when have he was a game with at least 4 of the 5 DBs that start for us this year? (our 3 CBs, and starting Ss)...of course our pass defense sucked, Trufant played injured early on, and Dyson and Herndon havent been n the same game since the first month of the season or so...so technically, its even closer then that

    to be honest, im more worried about OUR offense over their offense by a longshot...we're efficient n such...but Carolina has ballhawks...turnovers could prove key...but our defense is full strength...theyve played well without being full strength all year...so im not worried about Carolina running out the clock...they have a pick your posion on offense:

    1. Spread the ball and suffer
    2. Keep giving it to Smith...he'll either be double covered to the point you throw incompletions...OR he'll quickly do damage, allowing us to get the good end of the TOP...

    Their offense isn't a time controlling one, like Washington was...so i see them as even...no worries to me...but of course, when the game starts...im gonna be a nervous wreck

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh...and the last sentence of your topic---so true!...

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the other things I noticed is that Carolina is a shockingly often penalized team. This does not bode well for a team that has to travel cross country and play in a very, very difficult environment. 

    Posted by check

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, Carloina has a Slight, very slight edge defensively, but offensively we're flat out better.
    Overall, we're just the better team with more balance and ways to hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To play devil's advocate, their offensive strength, the love child of Clark Kent and Mother Theresa, plays to our biggest defensive deficiency, which is probably why I can't turn to a sports station without hearing the name Steve Smith in the first 15 seconds.

    However, I've been saying all along that our best defenders against Steve Smith are not Marcus Trufant and Andre Dyson, but Shaun Alexander and Matt Hasselbeck.

    We need to ride the horse that brung us, and that's our ball control, effecient, touchdown scoring offense. We MUST score points every time we have the ball, except for that game ending "Victory V" 3-and-Detroit. 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember those days when i was uneasy about every match we had. I am happy to say that thise days are over. I have no doubt in my mind that Saettle is a superior team and will win the game.

    last weeks game was amazing after seeing that i have no problem handing the game over to the defense because i think they can manage and get us a win. 

    Posted by o-meezy

    ReplyDelete