Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Around the League: Player Availability

A lot happened yesterday that changed the prospects landscape.

Drew Bledsoe will be a Cowboy.

Edgerrin James got the tag.

The Titans put Derrick Mason, Samari Rolle, Kevin Carter, Fred Miller, Robert Holcombe and Joe Nedney on waivers.

I didn't realize that Mason led the League in receiving last season. He's very reliable, racking up 95 and 96 receptions the last two seasons respectively. But he is 31. Nonetheless, I think he would be a great waiver pickup, assuming he's not going to ask too much from our cap. Jackson, Mason, Engram and Urban as a receiving corp. with Hasselbeck in for the long haul gets Bluefoot very excited.

Plexiglass Burress is confirmed as being on his way out of Pittsburgh. I guess he's a second tier FA choice after Mason, IMHO.

Jerry Porter is staying in Oakland. Just as well. They also tagged Woodson.

That's about it for now. If you get any more minor NFL news on prospects, throw it in this thread if you want. If it gets any traction I'll make it a 'sticky'.

10 comments:

  1. I have to admit you're right.

    Who do you think is up for contract restructuring? Chad definitely comes to mind, but I'm not sure of who else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, Moss will be traded to the Raiders.

    I can't believe I didn't see that coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Travis Henry of the Bill is being traded to Arizona for a LT.

    At least that means SA won't be going to the Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when you beat me to headlines!!!

    I figured that trade was worth threading simply because it could affect us if we traded Shaun...

    how much cap do we have? I read that we had 22 mill after Jones' signed...subtract 10-11 for Shaun and Hass...shouldn't we have 11-12 mill?

    someone explain this cap money situation to me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. to add to Shonuff's say on keeping Tobeck, in particular...lockerroom presence is important, and he definitely is part of the reason this team stayed sane throughout last year...

    sometimes lockerroom personality is underrated, and sometimes its overrated, but its still semi-important...and is a plus

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd just be a little afraid of losing Lucas, in case our pass rush fizzles again, if so we'll need all the top quality DBs we can get.

    Lucas was a playmaker among few last year, I'd hate to lose any of our playmakers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time for the FO to do some more wheelin' and dealin'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually I think with the release of Taylor and D.Robinson, and a little contract fiddling that number could jump to over $10 mill. Let's see what the FO magicians can do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see that Allen Rossum's available, the FOX site says this about him....He would bring excitement to both return units and also could be used as a Dime Corner.

    Things that make ya' go hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some other players I'd like to see that Hawks go after.

    Derrick Burgess-DE(Eagles)
    Reggie Hayward-DE(Broncos)
    Mark Fields-OLB(Panthers)
    Tommy Polley-OLB(Rams)
    Kendrell Bell-MLB(Pitt)
    Ed Hartwell-MLB(Ravens)
    Jeremiah Trotter-MLB(Eagles)

    ReplyDelete