Sunday, February 20, 2005

Tick, Tock...

Although the free agency period begins March 2nd, the deadline for naming free agents is Tuesday, Feb 22. What does this mean? It means that if the front office and the player's agents don't get their act together, We are going to lose two of the top 10 scheduled-to-be free agents in the league, Alexander and Hasselbeck.

I know, Whitsitt got us into this mess. And the FO is trying hard to hire a president and sign the upcoming candidates for free agency to a contract. But it's been said by many, it appears that there is a lack of a sense of urgency in this administration. Sure, they may still pull it out. The deadline for signing these guys is not for another ten days. But is they don't sign Hass by Tuesday, things will get a lot tougher.

Both Matt's and Shaun's free agent fortunes are inextricably linked together, thanks to the dilly dally-ing of the organization toward signing these two this past season. It's arguably the best case scenario to sign Hass to a contract by tomorrow. That way the franchise tag can be used with less monetary damage on Alexander. In such a case, both of them could be miraculously locked up, and attention could be given to the other fourteen free agents on the roster in the following eight days before the deadline.

But both players and their agent know this: if the two of them can stall past the FA nomination deadline Tuesday, it will give them a lot more leverage and undoubtedly a fatter paycheck, regardless of the team they land on. If that happens, it's going to be monetarily squeeze out the other quality players we need to keep this team improving.

That would really suck. They may pull it off yet, but if they stand true to form, I am going to be one very P.O.'d Seahawks fan.

7 comments:

  1. Cue up George Micheal's "Ya' gotta have faith."

    Faith ah, faith ah, faith! :)

    Somebody got a paper bag!!!!

    I think I'm starting to hyperventalate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon Blue say it with me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And where'd ya' find my self portrait! (bi-polar & suffering from ADHD)

    Yeah buddy!!!!

    Live yer life with that goin' on in your' head! WEEEEEAHHHH!!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the question of the day is how sure are you that Matt wants to re-sign? As of now, a few sources believe the Hawks will have to use the franchise tag on him (8 mill). I'm not excited about that. It's not that I don't want Matt to re-sign, it's just that I don't think he's an 8 million a year player. And with the concerns we have right now, the last thing we need to do is overpay players. Well, maybe not the last thing, maybe the last thing is letting our franchise quarterback get away. As happy as I was about Jones signing, I now realize that it's still possible to lose 2 of the big three. I am definitely hyperventalating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What!?! I can't hear ya' with my head in this paper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vinny's got an interesting pont:


    But I’ve got to think twice
    Before I give my heart away
    And I know all the games you play
    Because I play them too

    Oh but i
    Need some time off from that emotion
    Time to pick my heart up off the floor
    And when that love comes down
    Without devotion
    Well it takes a strong man baby
    But I’m showing you the door

    ’cause I gotta have faith...


    Ya-cha cha!

    Ugh-- It's like this is turning into a Rams' board. Live with THAT going on in your head!

    Yet another perfectly good thread gone to crap. Can anybody help us out here?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah......."We're signing!!! We're signing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete