Thursday, February 10, 2005

New Special Teams Coach

Wednesday the Hawks hired a new special teams coach, here's what coach Holmgren had to say.
“We hired a special teams coach, Bob Casullo, who was most recently with the New York Jets as the tight ends coach. I interviewed Bob last year and he had been with the Raiders with Jon Gruden; he was their special teams coach when they went to the Super Bowl. He has a great background in coaching. Coached in college a number of years, he distinguished himself at Syracuse University, as an example. We’re very excited. He was disappointed he didn’t get the job last year. Special teams is his first love, but the Jets hired him as a tight ends coach. I’m very, very pleased that we were able to get him.”

It sounds like they got the guy they wanted which I am very happy about. My reason for posting this is to get the opinions of you out there, regarding this hiring. I would like to hear what you guys think, as well as getting any pertinant information regarding him, which may not be common knowledge.

8 comments:

  1. By the way, when I saw that he'd most recently been a TE coach I was a little worried until I looked back and saw why. He had been the Raiders STC for four years, had been to the super bowl and then when the big turnovers happened after the loss to the Bucs in the Super Bowl, he had been a part of the purges and so had to take what he could get, which was TE coach. It makes me feel a bit better about it knowing that it was not incompetence which had gotten him fired from the Raiders so that he'd had to become a TE coach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just glad it's proof that the FO isn't sitting on it's collective hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know much about him. I like what I see so far though. I have a very good friend who is a big Raiders fan, (I know, I know) and he was pretty disappointed to lose him.

    Of course it worries me that he has Cromwell's support. I'm still on a crusade to get rid of that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not that I think Cromwell has been telling his players to drop the ball, but I just feel that a team that is the leader (depending on where you look, it's not an official stat so it's hard to find anything conclusive) in dropped passes 2 out of the last 3 years, and in the top 5 the other year, something needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't get me wrong, that might be the receivers. Maybe Cromwell is an outstanding coach who just doesn't have players with the right work ethic (Robinson). But I just don't see it happening. It is tough to have a good unit without a good coach.

    (You like what I did there? See, I took your quote and used it to my liking. Dang I'm clever!)

    But, Cromwell really isn't the biggest concern of mine, I want the FO taken care of desperately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't they announce that Cromwell has lost the WRS coaching job?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to check around, I could've sworn I'd read that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete