Monday, February 28, 2005

Interesting comments

I thought this comment was interesting and would like to hear what you guys have to say. (Also needed to stop arguing about Alexander so this is a good distraction for me).

From CBS Sports, "Despite re-signing Jones and Hasselbeck and tagging Alexander, the Seahawks' draft strategy remains tethered to what happens in free agency. They need additional help for a defense that slipped from No. 19 in 2003 to No. 26 last season, and it's unlikely that after dealing with their own free agents they will have the cap room to make a big splash by signing one from another team. So they will have to look to the draft to add impact players, as well as depth, at linebacker, on the defensive line and in the secondary. Three players who would help, if available when the Seahawks make the 23rd pick in the first round, are Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson, who has the speed and playmaking ability and instincts that coordinator Ray Rhodes likes; Virginia Tech cornerback Eric Green, a cover corner with good quickness and feet; and LSU defensive end Marcus Spears, who has the size and bulk that Wistrom and Okeafor lack."

I personally like Spears and Johnson just fine if they fall to us, (actually like the Spears idea quite a bit), I think Green would be redundant however, since it's the front seven we really need help with. What do you guys think?

7 comments:

  1. I'll have to disagree with their evaluation of our cap room, with the release of players like D.Rob and Bobby Taylor, we could free up another three or four Mill. with the probable re-working of some of our higher dollar players like Brwon, Wistrom and Simmons to name a few.

    I actually see them trading Alexander for a top defensive player, a true impact player.

    I think the rest can be covered by the draft. I like Johnson, he's definitly a possible impact player, I also like Blackstock (a LB out of Virginia), and David Pollack (a possibility if we can move up in the draft). Spears sounds great too.

    And to get a little off track, I like Khalif Barnes the Tackle from UW, however it would seem unlikely we'd take him due to the fact that he'll probably go early in the first rd.

    However I'd like to get a quality O-lineman, a plug in guy that can fill the holes made by possible injuries.(another Womack kinda guy)

    And monkey, I'm with ya on the Alexander arguements, sorry about the manic behavior, sometimes I get worked up over things. And Alexander's my sore spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, no harm no foul Vinny, I started it anyway, I'm just in a grumpy mood I guess.
    Blackstock is a good player, I really like Spears though, he's big strong and fast, sounds like the perfect comliment to Wistrom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I can't wait for my birthday!

    Did I mention it's the 24th, the same weekend of the draft. I used to party, now I just celebrate the new picks.

    God I'm pitiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still in favor of drafting Merriman. He was 256 lbs when the scouting reports were out about him but he showed up at the combine at 274.

    The crazy thing is that he still has the tools to play LB at that size.

    I know for him to come in as a DE is a bit redundant, especially if we resign Oke, but I'm hoping to see him ease into Chad Brown's shoes.

    He really can do it all eventually, but he could be instant pass rush.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed on the draft picks. Any of those would do.

    Why don't you see taylor being released? From everything I've heard, his knee is expected to be a continuing problem. It's sad, but that puts him on the block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The front seven are in more need of talent than the back four, at least as of right now. As of March 3rd, though, it could be different. If we lock down Lucas, then we won't even think about a corner until the 3rd round, if then. In my opinion, although I was ecstatic we signed him last year, Bobby has to go. Nothin personal, strictly business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed. Our defense is in a dire need of more brutal, physical players. We strike fear in the hearts of no one.

    ReplyDelete