Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Tough questions

I didn't really want to do this but...there are several tough questions, which tend to be hot topics for Seahawks fans which I feel compelled to comment on. I would also like to conduct a poll regarding these questions which I would love to see your answers to. I will post the poll questions at the end of this post.

First, I must say that the way that coach Holmgren seemed almost worn down and depressed at the end of last season, and the way that he candidly informed the media that he wasn't sure that he even wanted to come back, has me thinking that no matter what the Seahawks do, (short of winning or at least getting to a super bowl) Mike will not be back at the end of next season. In my opinion, Holmgren just looked drained, he looked as if the joy had gone out of the job and he was very seriously thinking about quitting. I got the feeling that not only was he on a short rope, with the front office, but he was at the end of his own as well.
So I am asking myself, what will the team have to do in order for Holmgren to want to come back? What will the Seahawks have to do in order for the front office to bring him back? Will he leave, (or be fired) at the end of next season regardless of what the Seahawks do next year?

My belief is that nothing short of a super bowl game will be enough for either the front office to want him back or for him to want to come back (even that may not be enough). It is possible that if the Seahawks were to make the NFC championship game and perform well, even though ultimately losing, it might be enough to give him one more last, last chance, but I am no longer certain that even that would be enough at this point in time.

Second, today the Seahawks resigned back up wide reciever Urban; does this resigning spell the beginning of the end for Koren Robinson a.k.a. "the Grip"? It is my belief that resigning Urban had as much to do with the fact that Urban has a chance to be a good reciever for this team, as it has to do with insurance against K Rob's inconsistent play. It is my opinion that this signing is intended to be a wake up call for Robinson, as much as it is just a good signing. What do you guys think? Is this just a good signing, or does it mean more given the inconsistent play ie. dropped passes, the off the field problems with the drugs etc... involving Robinson. Does this signing spell the end of "the Grip"?

Third, I would like to know the opinion of all of you regarding this teams top needs going into the free agency and drafting period. Would you go after D Linemen, linebackers, wide recievers, runnning backs, or something else. Do you think that whether or not Alexander resigns with the team is the key to what we will need to do? I believe that whether he resigns or not will determine the direction the Seahawks take this offseason. I also believe that resigning Alexander may ultimatley prove to be less costly than letting him go, since if he leaves, we must replace him with either a high round draft pick or a free agent with less than half the talent, which would also cost money.

In light of that last question, IF Alexander should choose to go elsewhere, what would the best direction for this team be? My thoughts are these. Since looking over the list of free agents, I have come to the conclusion that there is only one free agent who would be able to effectively replace Alexander, (Brian Westbrook) and he is a restricted free agent, which means the likelihood of our getting him is very, very slim. Getting Westbrook would probably be as costly (ultimately) as resigning Alexander would be. I believe that Morris is at least as good an option as any of the unrestricted free agents would be, which leaves us looking to the draft to replace Alexander should he leave, or just giving the job to Morris. There are quite a few RB's available in this draft who I believe will turn out to be very good pro's. I also think that one or two of them may slip into the second round of the draft. So where does that leave us if Alexander walks? Do we use our draft picks to improve our defense, and just go with Morris next year? Or do we use a first or second pick to replace Alexander? Is Morris ready to be "the guy"?

Fifth, if the Seahawks do decide, (as I think they should) to pursue a wide reciever in the free agency, should it be Plaxico Burress, Mushin Muhammed, or T.J. Houshmandzedeh? I personally am leaning heavily towards Muhammed or Houshmandzedeh, but am a little torn between these two.
I don't want Burress at all, period, I think he is a perenial underachiever who choked in the championship game (he dropped an easy touchdown pass then whined about his lack of playing time after the game), who is also always hurt. Sounds just like Robinson to me, no thanks I'll pass.
Muhammed is a very good possesion reciever who has the ability to score, but has had some real down years and is a bit older than either Plexiglass or T.J. He cerainly has gotten it done in the big games, however, and would be an istant "go to guy" for Hasselbeck, when his protection breaks down.
Houshmandzedeh, is a bit undersized and perhaps a bit slow, but is a terrific route runner with great hands, he is very competitive and is still fairly young, and would likely be inexpensive as well.
All in all, I would be happy with either of those two.


So here are the poll questions.
#1. What will it take for Holmgren to come back/be brought back for yet another season after next year.
A. A terrific playoff run.
B. A super bowl appearance.
C. He's worn out, this will be his last season.
D. A solid season, regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

#2. Was the Urban resigning,
A. A sign of the end for Koren Robinson.
B. Insurance, in case Robinson still can't get his act together.
C. Just a good signing, nothing more.
D. A waste of money.

#3. Where should the teams focus be in the draft.
A. Defensive line.
B. Linebacker.
C. Wide reciever.
D. Other, (if other, tell me which postion).
E. depends on whether or not Alexander resigns.

#4. If Alexander does not resign, should we
A. spend a high round draft pick on his replacement.
B. Give the job to Morris.
C. Pursue an unrestricted free agent, (if so, who?)
D. Pursue Westbrook even though he is restricted.

#5. If Alexander leaves, is Morris ready to be "the guy"?
A. Yes.
B. No.
C. Jury's still out.

#6. If the Seahawks go after a wide reciever in free agency, should they get,
A. Mushin Muhammed.
B. Plaxico Burress.
C. T.J. Houshmandzedeh.
D. Other, (tell me who).
E. Some combination of these players. (example, Muhammed AND Houshmandzedeh).

7 comments:

  1. My answers to the poll questions.......

    #1-D, He'll finish his contract out.

    #2-C, I agree that it's more a replacement for the probably departing Rice.

    #3-A

    #4-D or C (Rudi Johnson,Buckhalter,Davenport,Jordan,Travis Minor,A-Train?)

    #5-C

    #6-B or D(Boston,Givens,Tai Streets) But I doubt there'll be much of a shakeup at the WR position this off season(eccept for the probable loss of Rice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd also like to add that a lot of the drain on mike this last season was due to all the friction between he and Whit.(more than even we knew about, apparently), I'm thinking this season will be more relaxing for the old 'Walrus', and the success i'm expecting in the playoffs this season will seal the deal for him. I see us taking another step forward next year. Who knows, maybe even the Big Show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vinny, I noticed that you answered D to the question of what it will take for Holmgren to come back. I know you really like the guy, but just how much futility are you willing to put up with from him? If he doesn't win BIG and I mean BIG next season I believe he'll be gone, and I for one believe it would be the right thing to do. He has had more than enough time and chances to get this team together and start winning. Next year should and in my opinion will be his final chance to show us just what he can do as a head coach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, see monkey that's where we disagree, I think next seasons the seaon, barring injuries, if not for teh drops we would have one of the top offenses in the NFL, are you forgetting that the Hawks were the #10 offense in the NFL at the end of this season and Matt was #10 among QBs, not bad for having such a lousy Coach.

    As I said barring another por showing by the WRs and injuries like we had last season, we will be in the top five teams in the NFL, it's just a matter of simple mathematics.

    What makes you think we'll be worse? What's your' proof?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vinny, I never said he's a lousy coach and never will. I defended bringing him back and would again, I just don't see how you can blindly defend his every move. He has made plenty of mistakes.

    Also, who's forgetting anything? I picked the Hawks to go to the bowl last year, (stupid me). I never said they'd be worse this year, where did you see me saying that? I am just simply saying that in my opinion, Holmgren has got one last chance to do something with this team or he's a goner, and rightfully so. He's had too many chances already. Next year, if there isn't marked improvement in this team I will be calling for his replacement. I will not wait forever when someone promises me the moon, sooner or later I want to see the moon delivered to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess, in a round-about way we agree on this.

    I agree that if the Hawks suck next year then sure Mike's gotta go, but I just don't see that happening, after all as I said, they've improved every season under him, notwithstanding the bind he was in with the cap he had his first three seasons. (he had to get rid of some quality players just to get their heads above water)

    He's the one that made room under the cap, and he had to take a lot of flack for the things he had to do to do it.

    And you're right, I will defend him, someone's got to put responses out here to agrue the negatives posted by guys like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. A. I think he needs to win a game or two in playoffs.

    2. A.and C. It is time to trade K-Rob, and it would be nice to see Urban get more reps to see what he can do.

    3. B. These guys can't stay healthy.

    4. B. Jon Randle said he was one of the toughest backs that he had seen. Use a low round draft pick 4 or 5.

    5. C.

    6. D. I'd go after Jerry Porter.

    ReplyDelete