Friday, February 25, 2005

Rice is gone, what's next?

The Seahawks have finally done the smart thing and cut loose the ancient, over the hill Jerry Rice. Now good ole number 80 can go back to rest where it belongs.

The question now is, what's next? The Seahawks have made astounding strides in the last week, to eliminate many of the problems which seemed to linger and linger during Whittsit's tenure as President. Now we suddenly have a new Pres./G.M., and we have perrenial training camp holdout Walter Jones locked up for what will likely be the vast majority of his career. We have also locked up perhaps our most important cog in the team by signing Matt Hasselbeck to a long term deal. On top of which, Alexander recieved the franchise tag, which allows us a great deal of flexibility in what we want to do with him. Now should some team come calling for his services, at least the Seahawks will be compensated for his loss. If, on the other hand, we don't find any suitors or trading partners for his sevices, we still have a top five back in our fold, in a contract year. It seems as if everything is truly beginning to sort itself out. This team has finally, apparently, found it's moorings and is beginning to take shape. So again, that leaves us with the question of what's next.

According to several sources, Coach Holmgren seems intent on trying to keep nearly every one of his players who are still unrestricted. The list of players he wants to see back next year, includes nearly everyone. The problem is, money only goes so far.

So here is what I would like to see happen, and in response I would like to hear what all of you would like to see happen. Tell me what you think of my plan, and what you would do yourself if it were up to you.

The very first thing I would do is resign Ken Lucas. We play in the NFC west, a division that features a Rams team with an incredibly potent passing attack, as well as the Cardinals, who suddenly have a trio of extremely dangerous recievers. In my opinion, there should be a premium placed on conerbacks, especially young talented cornerbacks such as Ken Lucas.

The second thing I would do is resign Robbie Tobeck. The key to winning in the NFL has always been, and will always be, effective line play. Teams that win, are teams that can field an offensive line that is cohesive as well as talented. It is absolutely vital, that an offensive line stays together for a long enough period of time to develop cohesion. Having said that, you might think I would also feel that it's fairly important to keep Pork Chop, and Chris Gray as well. After all Pork Chop has been the fill in guy, whenever anyone becomes injured or otherwise cannot play and Gray is our starting right guard. Surprise, I don't. I would prefer to keep Pork Chop, at least at a decent price, but I do not think that his level of talent is worth overpaying one dime for him. As far as Chris Gray, I would have gotten rid of him three years ago had it been up to me. Nearly all the sacks that the offensive line has given up in the last several years has come from the weak right side, and far too often from Gray's spot at right guard. Of course, a large part of the problem with the right side of our O line last year, also came from the right tackle spot, from Chris Terry's area. My solution to fixing this problem ties into my third priority, which is whether or not to resign Chike Okeafor.

The thing I would look at there, is whether or not there is enough money left to resign Chike Okeafor, and still pursue some other free agents. If we have the money to do both, then fine, great, by all means resign Okeafor. If not, well then let him walk.

Losing Okeafor is a hit that we could easily absorb, because of the number of very good pass rushing defensive ends coming through the draft this season. It has been a long time since the NFL has seen this many fast, athletic and talented DE's coming through the draft, and we could surely land one of them with our 23rd pick.
Also, (getting back to how this all ties in with the right side of our offensive line), there is one player in free agency, who would not only help us tremendously on the right side of our O line, but also hurt our main division rival in the process. Kyle Turley. I want this guy! Turley is the kind of player who never takes downs off, who takes it personally when he gives up a sack, and who looks at the job of protecting the QB, much as America's Secret service thinks about protecting the President. This was clearly evidenced, by the now somewhat infamous incident where Turley tore off the Helmet of a Jets player and threw it towards the stands. He just will not stand for allowing his quaterback taking any flack, he takes it personally. exactly, the type of attitude and player who would ignite our talented O line into a raging inferno. Trouble is, we already have a right tackle, and we would like to, if at all possible, resign our team sack leader, Chike Okeafor. My solution? Cut Chris Terry, who would be familiar with getting cut, since he was let go from the Panthers, for his history of being a locker room problem and a drug abuser. Let Chris Gray walk, just because he stinks, and sign Kyle Turley. Then if we still have money left over, resign Okeafor, then after, Pork Chop, with whatever is left. We can have Pork Chop fill in for Gray, if we are able to resign him, or we can use one of our many "project" picks from the previous year's drafts to replace him. This solution would give us a revamped right side of the O line, with Turley and either Pork Chop or one of our other "project guys", and would either leave us with Okeafor, or a brand new fresh shiny DE out of the draft, who I personally think would be an immediate upgrade over Okeafor anyway.

After all that, we could possibly still have money left over with which to sign free agents, especially if we cut loose Chris Terry and don't resign Okeafor. With any money left over, I would pursue a WR, there are several available this year who would be of help to us, but perhaps the one who would give us the most bang for the buck so to speak is T.J. Houshmandzadeh. He is somewhat undersized and perhaps somewhat slow, but he is an excellent route runner and an excellent hands guy. He had a very nice season last year for the Bengals and showed that the knocks on his speed and size may be very overexaggerated.
The other free agent who I think would provide alot of bang for the buck is, Rod Smart, or as he is better known, He Hate Me. He Hate Me is a special teams stud whose price would be relatively cheap for what he could bring to this team, which is a true kickoff/punt return threat. We have not had a scary return man in so long I have almost forgotten what it is like to have one.
Both of those two guys would be cheap enough for us to get and both would bring immediate value to this team.

As far as the draft is concerned, I would take the best available DE with our first pick if we weren't able to resign Okeafor, otherwise I would use our first pick on a LB, if a good one falls to us.

Seems smart to me, and very doable, let me know what you guys think.

13 comments:

  1. I should have mentioned in my post that along with cutting (or trading if possible) Chirs Terry, I would also cut or trade Koren Robinson. This is also a move that I would have made some time ago if it had been up to me.
    Either of those two guys may bring us something of value in a trade, or if not, it's addition by subtraction. Now that we've cleaned house in the front office, I suggest it's time to clean house in the locker room as well, starting with the two biggest dysfunctional head cases on our team, The Grip and Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. I like it a lot.

    What do you suggest we do about the TE situation? Let Mili go, and start Stevens and Hannam?

    I we could pull off the rest of what you're talking about, I could live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question Bluefoot. My personal feeling is cut Stevens and use that money to resign Mili, and go with Mili and Hannam. But I don't really know the salary implications of all that, so maybe cutting Stevens wouldn't give us enough money to resign Mili. In which case, screw it, let Stevens finally have his chance to be the guy. It's well past time we find out whether or not this waste of a first round pick can be the guy or not. And if he flops, bring in Hannam, who looked better than Stevens most of the time last year anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point. I wish there were some accessible records of Seahawks' salaries. That would make this know-it-all stuff a lot easier! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sign
    ----
    Pork Chop
    Ken Lucas
    Kyle Turley
    Derrick Mason/TJ House/Plax
    Alex Bannister
    Kendrell Bell/Hartwell (if money is left...take a Wistrom-like risk)

    Cut
    ---
    Chad Brown (if we have a chance for a decent outside LB in free agency)
    Marcus Trufant (har har...kiddin)

    Trade
    -----
    K Rob (use the 'he was a 1st round pick excuse to gain as much for him as possible)

    Get in Fairyland (sarcasm towards my already way too opimistic hopes)
    ----------------
    Andre Johnson
    Ray Lewis
    Chris McCallister


    wow, when I put it this way...it makes me respect the FO's jobs more...

    what does everyone think of Kendrell Bell?

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's always hurt just like Chad Brown.
    I think he's good when healthy and might be worth the risk, but I think we can do better in the draft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No beatings, I don't really agree, but I see your points and they are very good points. I think that Terry was actually a bigger problem last year than you do. I watched every game and cannot tell you how many times I was screaming at the TV when that moron made a false start on key downs, or let someone get into Hasselbecks grill. I actually think that Terry is a slightly above average talent with TONS of personal garbage that he brings with him into the locker room. Remember he was let go by Carolina for being a drug abuser, and he's been busted since, remember the 4 game suspension? In my opinion, it would be addition by subtraction to get id of him, it would help the locker room and on the field, if we got Turley. I see it as a win win.

    Besides, Robinson can just get over it, he's not really all that good anyway, so I really don't care what Robinson thinks. There have been plenty of players who were traded to teams where the other players had some issues with them. It's football, heat of the moment stuff happens, Damien is a big boy, he'd just have to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check...im a bandwagoner for Turley...I never really cared what happened with him and us...but since everyone else is liking it, I figured it must be a good thing

    honestly I do want Turley...but you make a great point about paying more money for a guy with barely more talent

    but like I say for almost any other Seahawk/FA subject, excluding DEs, WRs, and LBs, I rather get a glaring need taken care of first

    if our o-line FAs don't get resigned, then keep running to the left...the defense may catch on, but nothing is more confidence-crippling is to know what the play is...and knowing you can't stop it (if we ran left on every play, I doubt the defense could stop us everytime, so it might just work)...oh, and of course this is sarcasm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again check, good points.
    I would argue that the difference in talent is much greater than you think it is but that is unproveable either way.
    I would also argue that the right side of our O line is a much bigger problem than you think it is as well, again, unproveable either way. It's my feeling that between the way that Terry played most of last season like he had his head up his ass, and the off the field crap, as well as the locker room problems which are well known, we'd be better off without him.
    Who knows, maybe he'll pull his head out and play up to his potential next year, but I wouldn't count on it. Remember the scorpion and the frog, sooner or later Terry will sting this team. Heck last year he already did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well monkey, ya asked for it and here it is, my own twisted opinion....

    I'd like to start off addressing checks responses since I agree with you on almost everything(quick! Someone get a bucket of cold water, I think he just fainted!)

    Check,
    1) Turley's one of the best right side Tackles in the game, seems to me he's done a hell of a job protecting his QBs. And as was mentioned earlier, Terry has a tendency to lose focus on the field.(the false starts)

    2) Turley and Robinson problems? I doubt it since Robinson probably won't be back.

    3) The shake up on the line won't happen, Womack will take his rightful place at right Guard now that he can practice at his own position. So with Turly at Right Guard that would give us a prtty awesome line. And another knock on Terry, he doesn't seem to be a quality pass protector.

    4) on the subject of available money..http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/story/4628798p-4297425c.html there are several opertunities to rectify that problem.

    Lastly) Well actually the above covers your' final point, Turley is a great pass protection Tackle that has a great record of protecting his QBs and is a more focused player than Terry, (Yes Terry's a bargain, but ya' get what ya pay for), and the can't be a problem with an existing player if that player's not playing for us any more.(Robinson will probably be a cap casualty)

    Whew! Now monkey the only things I disagreed on were Lucas being a casualty, I'm pretty confident that they'll find a way to keep him. And on Okeafor, I really don't think that, with a healthier and more experienced LB corp, we need to upgrade at that position, his numbers are solid and if we can keep Wistrom, Brown, and Simmons healthy his numbers would jump. What we 'do' need is a bada** MLB, that's our only really weak spot on defense, I personally don't see us having the injury riddled season we had last year , but even if we do, we have guys that have now been through it, had their baptism of fire as they say.

    Well there ya' go, my psychopinions, for what they're worth. All I know is I've never been so excited about an off-season as I am about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually Vinny, we agree on Lucas, I said that I would like to keep him as well, you probably misunderstood what I was saying there. In the NFC west with so many good recievers, I think it's vital that we keep Lucas, especially since Bobby Taylors status appears to be in question.
    We didn't even really disagree on Okeafor, I said I too would keep him if possible, I just don't see how we'll have the money to do both Okeafor and Lukas and between the two I would keep Lukas, Okeafor can be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  12. About Terry: Remember he played a lot of the season with one arm against some pretty good defenders before Pork Chop stepped in. The reason you were screaming at the TV is why he finally went in for shoulder surgery

    I just think that if he's back next season, he won't be as bad as last year, just because of the injury.

    One thing I DO like about him is his athleticism. According to Holmgren, he can call plays he normally wouldn't when Terry is in there and healthy.

    Don't get me wrong, I still like the idea of Jones, Hutch, Tobeck, Womack, and Turley for an o-line.

    ReplyDelete
  13. check, well ya swayed me, I could live with Terry, if he pulls his head out. (actually I think that some of his problems with the offsides was him trying to compensate for the injured shoulder)

    And on the Lucas thing, I've heard rumors that Taylor could be a cap casualty and therefore perhaps will require the re-signing of Lucas but could also free up the money to do so.

    Anyway, I'm just glad the Hawks actually have the options.

    ReplyDelete