Monday, August 15, 2005

albaNY Hawker "Moonlight Graham" Award

I wasn't sure if I was going to do an award, since it's so hard for me to see the games, but after seeing Blue's effort on his award, I just knew I had to come up with something!

If anyone remembers, my first selection for the Adopt-a-Seahawk program was often hurt but momentarily dazzling fullback Chris Davis, who I nicknamed "Moonlight Graham", and then he was unceremoniously released by the Seahawks a few weeks later.

So, in memory of my dearly departed SIDs case - Seahawks Injury Dismissal - I am dedicating the albaNY Hawker "Moonlight Graham" Award, for the player who steps out of obscurity and does something special each week.

With the number of undrafted free agents, bargain basement ex-Buccaneer pickups, and fledgling rookies running around trying desperately to make the team, there should be no shortage of nominees for this award.

In reviewing the articles on the game, and great play-by-play provided by my 12 Seahawks Street co-contributors on the Super Flooble, this week's recipient of the albaNY Hawker "Moonlight Graham" award is rookie fullback Leonard Weaver, for his 40-yard thunderous TD run that put the exclamation point on the complete and total domination of the Saints in the first pre-season game.

Weaver was an easy choice, not only because he plays the same position as the inspiration for this award, but because he's a converted tight-end to boot!

Honorable mention goes to his roommate, Marquis Weeks, who also turned in an almost "Moonlight" worthy performance with a game high 59 yards on 8 carries, and of course, Seneca "AVIS" Wallace, who seems to be moving much closer to stardom and further away from obscurity.

I would also like to immediately bestow the "Old Timers" version of this award on Dan Doornink, who was a great Seahawks running back who went on to become a doctor. To paraphrase the famous Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham line from the movie Field of Dreams, "playing football for only 5 minutes isn't a tragedy...had I only been able to be a doctor for 5 minutes, now THAT would have been a tragedy!"

5 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. Dr. Dan Dornink. One of my favorite Seahawks alums. I think I still have the McDonalds (Burger King?) glass with him and Sam McCullum on it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I lose points for spelling his name phonetically!!! (of course, I don't own said McDonalds glass!) 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  3. "McDonalds (Burger King?) glass  " Old school. "Dan Doornink" Old school. "Leonard Weaver", not old school yet, but looks like he could be our #2FB. I hope he is our #3 TE as well. The only problem is, does getting this award guarantee him of an early exit? If so, I recommend alba adopts and/or gives awards to Bulger, Jackson, Pace and Holt the next couple of weeks. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  4. If something happens to Weaver this week, and Taco Wallace doesn't start returning punts for POSITIVE yardage, he's getting this award next! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete