Wednesday, August 24, 2005

This Week's BFD Award

So who get's this week's BlueFoot Destroyer award?

Runner up goes to Lofa Tatupu. I don't remember which quarter it was, but on one occasion Dallas called a run play behind all-decade left guard Larry Allen (check his profile), led by the fullback. Allen fired out to block Lofa about three yards past the line of scrimmage. While I was watching this on tape, I winced. It looked like Allen blew Lofa up. It was obvious the way Allen's 325 lb. Michelin-inspired body continued moving forward after the collision that Tatupu had received a big fat 'welcome to the NFL'. I replayed it a couple of times, and actually felt pity for the slightly undersized linebacker.

My pity was misplaced. After playing the tape through, there he is, #51, much to my surprise, tackling the running back at the line of scrimmage. At first I thought I had the numbers wrong, but no, somehow Lofa got under his block, scraped off from the monstrous, enveloping freight train disguised as a blimp, and let him go on by.

I was truly astonished. I still don't see how he did it.

While this was a great play, largely unnoticed by most persons, this was not the kind of HIT I was looking for, to merit the award.

Enter Drew Bledsoe. With 2:13 remaining in the 1st quarter, he runs out of the pocket to the right on 3rd and 9. Getting close to the first down marker, he foolishly elects to dive headfirst for the reset.

Enter Isaiah Kacyvenski. Coming from his zone in pass coverage, Isaiah mirrored Bledsoe's headfirst trajectory and with an outstanding helmet and shoulder pad 'pop', redirected the quarterback's dive backwards, and two yards short of the first down.

Congratulations, Isaiah Kacyvenski. You won your first (and quite possily last) BFD award.

You've come a long way, baby.

4 comments:

  1. I love this award!

    Keep it up.... 

    Posted by Outside Contain

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the exact person i thought deserved this one...

    I dont like Kaz as much as i do the other LBs, but he did deserve this one

    im a little intimidated, as i was about to post my award up, but i dont wanna follow this well thought out one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie Sharper, D.D. Lewis, Niko Koutouvides, Lofa Tatupu, Kevin Bentley will make the team.

    Kaz, White, Hill. One of these guys is getting cut. I can't say I want any of them cut. They all have something to offer off the bench and in ST. I wish one of the linemen could longsnap. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue - you always set the bar. Good choice and logic on your award, and kudos for digging up that old picture of Kaz. 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete