Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Emergence of New Leadership?

Here's just a few quotes from articles posted yesterday. With the due changes made to the defense in the offseason, how are things developing? Some new leaders are emerging.

From the PI:

Jamie Sharper wasn't the last man standing, but he was the last one running. He was running windsprints by himself. A nine-year NFL veteran who has started every game in his career, Sharper sweated out a little extra-credit work in his first training camp with the Seahawks.

"That's just because I didn't get as many reps today at practice," Sharper said. "So with the conditioning I already came to camp in, I've got to go ahead and do a little extra if I don't get the same amount of reps."
It's been a while since we've heard anything like that coming out of Cheney.

The next possible leader of the defense is rising up from the third string and into the heart of Ray Rhodes, according to his interview in the Seattle Times:

On defensive tackle Chuck Darby: "The thing that is very noticeable about him is that he has one speed. And I like players who play with one speed, and that's all I ask for. I feel good about that position. He's a leader. He's a guy that's not going to do a lot of talking, but it's by example. If somebody's talking around him, he's going to make them shut up."

Then there is Rhodes' summation of D.D. Lewis and Lofa Tatupu, as noted at the Trib:

“(Lewis) is a guy that is outspoken and a hard worker,” Rhodes said. “He has leadership ability. Lofa Tatupu was a leader in college (at Southern California) and has been a winner. We hope to get leadership from him, also.”
Fasten your seat belts, this defense is changing. The tone is being set by a new group of players.

This should be interesting, very interesting.

10 comments:

  1. I love it. I mean I REALLY LOVE IT!!!! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that they are rotating all the players as much as they can, at least on the DL and LB. Bentley is starting over Sharper most of the time according to the TnT, PI, and Times reporters, because he is playing better. That is awesome, it will allow Bentley more time to get with the program, and push Sharper (or not, he knows how good he is, and he knows everybody else knows too). I think we are getting much better at LB, top to bottom.

    I still think we're gonna cut a bunch of quality players who have been here before this year, which is kind of sad. Sorry Kaz, at least you graduated from Hah-vahd, so getting a job should be easy. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that Darby and Bentley are being noted for their attitude and talent, since all the nay-sayers on the other boards have been talking about what terrible acquisitions both players have been. I hope the nay-sayers like crow, cuz it sounds like they'll be eating a lot of it! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Kaz is going anywhere though, he's too valuable to 1/3rd of our team (amazing on special teams.)

    I read today that the second string punter in Denver was booting 67 yard punts. Might be worth looking at when he gets cut (Ernster I believe?) 

    Posted by PaulieP

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno, I am against burning another roster spot on special teams. We kept 7 LBers last year. If either Worthham or Hill make the team, I don't see how they can keep Kaz. Lofa and Niko will make it at MLB, with Worthham and Kaz behind. Sharper, Lewis, White and Bentley should all make it at OLB, with Hill, Robinson and Galloway  (a long snapper and local boy) behind them. I would think that at least one of these guys can beat out Kaz for LB, and can't see how his ST contributions would be missed that  much. Just an opinion, I like Kaz, and think that last year he was great as far a character, motor, and leadership, he just doesn't have the skills and we got a bunch of new leadership... see above. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can this really be any better? Gone is the lod me first whining attitude, here to stay is the new team first young cares about winnning attitude. I LOVE THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can this really be any better? Gone is the lod me first whining attitude, here to stay is the new team first young cares about winnning attitude. I LOVE THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It could only be better if you posted it just one more time... 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could post it again if you want Josh hehe

    ReplyDelete