Friday, August 26, 2005

A good thing to argue about

Ok, I'm going to try with all my might to use CAPITAL LETTERS where everyone think I ought to, because the last time I posted i wrote in my normal, nothing capitalized style and apparently it pissed everyone off, because the only comments i remember receiving were the ones taking issue with my "unprofessional" writing style, and it would be a shame for my timely and insightful commentary to be overlooked because of their personal biases in regards to... oh, nevermind.

So I'm dying to talk about our receivers. Jackson and Engram are the starters. Mr. Clavicle is our special teams ace, and I suppose a case could be made that he shouldn't even be counted as a receiver, but he's got one of the spots. I still don't know how to spell his name, but the big kid who used to play for the Bucs is pretty good, and I think he'll be a great number 3.

So that leaves 2 open spots, assuming that there will only be 6 total. And I'm also going to assume that DJ Hackett has one of those spots pretty much locked up. He's played well, held on to the ball, and he's a deep threat. Which leaves us (based on several assumptions) with Pathon and Urban battling for the last spot.

Here's my case for keeping Urban. I just think he's going to keep getting better, and we should hold on to him. We all know that whoever we cut will end up on someone else's team (probably the niners or the eagles), and I would be much more afraid of facing Urban than Pathon.

Since we're Seahawk fans, we have to talk about the "Drop Factor". So let me say this. Every single one of our receivers has dropped the ball. And Urban is no Koren Robinson. I think he will get past the few drops that he's had, because of his attitude and work ethic. And I'd like to point out that the "drop" he had in the end zone against the cowboys was tipped by the CB. Maybe nobody else saw it, but it was finally corraborated in the pi article. To make the adjustment and come up with the ball would have been a big feat, but he couldn't. But to infer that it hit him in the hands and fell to the ground is wrong and I wanted everyone to know.

And to be fair, I still don't know much about Pathon. But we know what we're getting with Urban. During the offseason, half of us were ready to annoint him as our new number 2 or 3 WR. This guy will work harder than most anybody on the team. Isn't that the kind of players they're trying to fill this team with?

There's still 2 pre-season games left, and my guess is that we will get to see both of them on the field a lot. So let the debate begin. As long as there are no comments on my grammar.

6 comments:

  1. Add to that the fact that the newspapers keep referring to Holmy being VERY hesistant to praise Pathon, and that he's on record several times today alone as saying how much he loves Urban, this is the hottest battle in camp right now.

    Holmy also is on record as saying how much he dispises the "dropsies" so he's torn between someone with a good reputation, or someone with a good amount of promise.

    If Urban could go back on the practice squad, that would have been ideal, but he can't, so Holmy's gonna have to make a tough decision.

    When all is said and done, it may come down to the Ruskell "quality of character" barometer. I'm not sure about Pathon's past, but Urban seems to be pretty much of a boy scout, so he may win out in the end.

    I say he makes it past the Aug. 30th cut one way or another, but he's got to catch A LOT of balls between now and the 53-man cut day, or #89 will be up for grabs for one of the other WRs wearing number "some-teen".

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I want Urban to win this battle (I'd rather have him than Hackett personally), I don't think he will. Everyone in the NFL has potential, Urban's got to capitalize on it this weekend if he even wants to be considered. If he drops a ball, he's out. Simple as that.  

    Posted by PaulieP

    ReplyDelete
  3. hes still young, but his career is also on the line here...he may get somewhere else, but if he ever wants to be the go-to starter, he needs to start climbing...

    then again not making the Seahawks as a WR isnt as sad as say, not making the Bears...

    I think Hackett wins, and I want the guy who earned it...the better guy...whichever one that may be, im behind him

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing about Urban's drops - yes, defenders tipped or defended the the ball, then it hit his hands, and then dropped the ball.

    But look at this another way: A faster or shiftier receiver would have better seperation, and perhaps the ball would not have been defended, and it would have been a catch.

    Sure, we have seen Urban make sure handed grabs in tight coverage and have been impressed by his hands and concentration; but the problem is that he is ALWAYS in tight coverage, because he lacks the tools to get wide open.

    The end result? In spite of his good hands, he gets in situations where he drops the ball because he is well defended.

    Which is still a drop, and his own fault.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think after tonight's game, it's going to be Urban getting the 6th spot and Pathon on the way out. Unfortunately, Pathon has been in the dog house since he came here and with no catches tonight I think that is a clear indication of who is staying and going. 

    Posted by SF Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pretty comfortable with Urban, particularly after seeing him some on the NFL network No Huddle show. He made 2 fairly clutch catches. I think its much too close to call between him, Pathon, and Hackett. I think Hackett is still PS eligible, so that certainly could be a possibility, keep all three. The one down thing I have to say about Pathon, and I think it has been said before, is that if he is that good, why isn't he still on the Colts or on the Saints? And gotta agree with alba, if it comes down to a "character" call from Mr. Ruskell, I see Urban and Hackett winning out. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete