Saturday, August 27, 2005

Monkey's Banana Peel Award


OK OK I missed the first two weeks but I can still give the award for those weeks now, just a little late. I have decided to award one for both offense and defense.

Week 1 Offense: Seneca Wallace. You were expecting someone else? C'mon this guys has PROVEN that he deserves to be the #2.
Week 1 defense: Chuck Darby. This guy looks like an offseason STEAL to me.

Week 2 Offense: D.J. Hackett. He simply caught everything in sight, and I believe forced his way onto this roster. If we keep only 5 recievers I guarantee this guy is one of them.
Week 2 Defense: Marcus Tubbs. This one was a tough call because there were several solid defensive efforts against Dallas, including once again Chuck Darby, as well as a few others.

Week 3 Offense: Daryll Jackson. What a great game against a great conerback in Patrick Surtain. He made a top 5 cornerback look silly.
Week 3 Defense: Marcus Tubbs again. Got himself a sack and was the only guy not out of position most of the time.

Now a couple comments. I could have easily given the award offensively to Matt Hasselbeck every week, he looks like he is going to be playing in the probowl this year. He is making terrific reads, feeling the pocket well, and rifling the ball into tight places where only the recievers can make the catch. I really couldn't be more impressed with Matt than I am right now. If this continues, (and I believe it will) we will be making a serious run at the super bowl.
Our recieving corp looks pretty darn good overall to me. Bobby will do very well at the #2 position, Hackett, Urban, and Jurevicious are neck and neck from what I have seen. Pathon has been a HUGE dissapointment though, looks to me like he will be getting cut soon.

As I said before our DT position looks terrific, both Darby and Tubbs have played outstanding football so far. We have gotten better pass pressure from inside, than on the ends so far. As for our linebacking corp, the MLB position is still up in the air from what I can see. Lofa has done very well at times, but has looked tentative at others. Niko has been pushed out of position at times, but is absolutely SMACKING people out there, and to me, looks more polished.
We are really missing the attitude that Hamlin brings to the game in our secondary. When he is on the field our secondary plays much more aggressively. Babineaux has certainly come a long way from where he was last year, nice improvement there.

14 comments:

  1. i agree with you on all the accounts, though im not counting Pathon out quite yet...

    That said...i love the banana flinging monkey video thingy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, what do you think of Tracy White? Do you think he is safe on the roster now?

    Hes been in the top 3 guys for most tackles in all 3 games so far

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy White looks OK but not great. He is serviceable but not much more to my eyes. Part of why I say that is that he doesn't cover very well for someone with his speed. I thought that with is speed he would be a whole lot better in coverage than he is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bobby will do very well at the #2 position, "

    I love the way they are using him, he lines up as the 2 in the relatively rare 2 receiver sets, and as the 3 in the 3 sets. Good moves by the coaching staff, fully utilizing his talents.

    Agree absolutely on Hasslebeck, he has been sharp almost all the time, and the pick, where he took accountablity for it, I still don't see how it was really his fault, no way he could have known Wares speed and skills.

    Well awarded all around, even if its a little late for the first two games. Nice work monkey. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even when he screws up royally, you can't help but love this Tatupu character. The 97 yard TD run was due to him being out of position, and he was the first to admit it. No excuses. No blame. Just personal responsibility. Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. unfortunately for Lofa, I have Niko in the lead right now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the only thing keeping Lofa out of the lead is the time he missed in camp and pre-season. He'll lock it up by mid-season at the latest. 

    Posted by vinnyhawkalugi

    ReplyDelete
  8. actually, it was for depth in general...this just happens to be a battle for the starting spot, because they are BOTH good enough...

    why dont you go recruit a cow to play for your oline 

    Posted by ADP

    ReplyDelete
  9. That 49er fan is probably someone I know well... I bet anything I know that TOM turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope I was wrong, just some loony niner fan who, since his own favorite team is quite possibly the worst in all of football with almost no hope of getting any better for the nxt 5-7 years; decided to bother me. That's ok, maybe after reading a truly insightful blog site like ours, he will grow, and learn something about football, instead of just spouting off and critisizing things he knows nothing about. At least he has the guts to publicly he is a Niner fan, that must really take some guts, with as embarrassing a team as they are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geez, and I thought getting SPAM was bad, but getting comments from a 49er fan on this blog...that's even worse! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  12. "why dont you go recruit a cow to play for your oline" 

    That was one funny shot.

    I move that we include it in the masthead. Does anyone second the motion? 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, monkey, you might know that 49erfan. He might be trying to get your goat. Either that or he just wants to cause a lot of trouble and get made fun of by everyone on this site. I'm so sorry for visiting a site of a team that hasn't even come close to winning as many super bowls as the 49ers. I will stay true and faithful to my team through even the hardest of times. 

    Posted by 49erfan

    ReplyDelete
  14. thought that was you. It sounded like you. Good job stirring up trouble. 

    Posted by monkey

    ReplyDelete