Tuesday, October 04, 2005

NFC West Update: Week 4


Who wants to design a logo for this?

Alright, I'm settling in to watch the MLB playoffs, and that got me thinking. Who in the NFC West is going to the playoffs?

OK, so this is a weekly thing, and I would have done it anyway. Bear with me.

After last week, someone said they wanted an update on the Seahawks in this column. I say, there's pleanty of 'Hawks analysis around on this site. I just want to concentrate on the other guys. So, without further adu...

In General: The NFC West is a weird division. Two 2-2 teams (Seattle and Saint Louis) tied for the division lead, and two 1-3 teams (Arizona and San Franisco) just a game behind.

The Standings:

Seattle 2-2 (1-0)
Saint Louis 2-2 (1-1)
Arizona 1-3 (1-2)
San Fran 1-3 (1-1)

Team by team...

Saint Louis Rams
Last week: 44-24 Loss to New York Giants
Threat to win the division: High

Analysis: Marc Bluger threw the ball 62 times on Sunday. With a running back tandem of Stephen Jackson and Marshall Fault one has to continue to ask Mike Martz, why? Bulger took another beating on Sunday, and the offense, despite getting over 400 yards through the air, again failed to score a lot of points.

The defense got torched by Plexico Burress. I would say Darryl Jackson is better then Burress, and this is a good sign for the Seahawks this week,.

This week: vs. Seattle

Arizona Cardinals
Last week: 31-14 win over San Fransisco
Threat to win the division: Medium

Analysis: On Sunday, the Cardinals showed why they were a preseason favorite in the division. They scored on eight straight possessions from the second to the fourth quarter. But, it wasn't Kurt Warner calling the shots. It was Josh McCown? McCown looked real good too, and Arizona should leave him in.

That said, the win came against the 49ers. A lot of teams will look real good against these guys. But, when 0-3 teams come back from 14 down to win convincingly, that says something about a team. This week could be a better game then it looks. After beating New England early, is anyone really impressed with the Panthers?

This week: vs.Carolina

San Francisco 49ers
Last week: 31-14 loss to Arizona
Threat to win the division: Low

Analysis: I spoke so highly of this team a week ago, and then they relapse. The 49ers looked lost in Mexico on Sunday. The defense scored twice, but the offense did nothing. I don't expect Mike Nolan to panick. He knows there will be bumps this season, so don't look for any drastic changes going into this week. Expect the Niners to take another lump on the noggin this week. The defense has the bad luck of facing Peyton Manning just as he found his stride.

This week: vs. Indianapolis

Enoy the Mariner-less playoffs...sigh...

Alan

11 comments:

  1. this is a must win game...but im worried because I rather have Engram for this game then DJack...not saying he is better, but Engram's route running abuses younger players, which the Rams are filled with in their secondary, with their injured corners...

    we need to fight with fire...the Rams fans are just as worried, they know that despite our humiliating losses last year, all of those games were down to the wire...it was more of us losing then them winning, they just took advantage of the mentality of our team

    HUGE GAME

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its a little early to worry about Bobby and Daryl not playing just yet, Urban signing and all. Ribs hurt but can be played on, D-Jack didn't look bad Sunday, I'm sure both will be probable/questionable, but should play.

    I wouldn't say D-Jack is better than Burress, two different receiver types, Plaxico is big and fast, not as precise. But D-Jack should torch them, I'll agree there.

    And I still think they are all low threat. This weekend will prove it, but I think we are the only winners in NFC-W this week. Nice post Alan. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josch makes a great point about WR types...though overall, id pick DJack there...


    and ive had cracked ribs before and played through it...but its not like i was in the NFL where the games absolutely matter...we all know how conservative Holmgren is

    I dont want Engram out for long term, but this game is huge for us...we need all the WRs possible 

    Posted by adp

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have Engram in this game, but not at the expense of more games later on. Vicious / Urban / Hackett will be able to sub in when needed. I think that if Engram can play this week and it won't affect him the rest of the season, then put him in. Otherwise, give him a rest.  

    Posted by PaulieP

    ReplyDelete
  5. who made the fancy graphic? it's great! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  6. who indeed? I actually have a more modern one in progress, but I kinda dig that old school style, ya know? 

    Posted by check

    ReplyDelete
  7. Them whiners like to be on the bottom, SF thing...

    I dig the new logo too. Well done anonymous logo poster! 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  8. my guess would be monkey or blue...it wasnt me either

    the mystery continues... 

    Posted by adp

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Alan owned up to it 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was me, I guess my sarcasm went unnoticed. 

    Posted by check

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's supposed to be the 49's at the bottom, while the 'Hawks are at the peak of the division. 

    Posted by check

    ReplyDelete