Thursday, May 05, 2005

Catching 101


For those of us who barely remember what it looks like, I thought I would show an example of how to catch a ball. Amazingly, the picture that I have linked to, (which you can see by either clicking the link below or by clicking the external link) is a picture of one of our own recievers, ACTUALLY catching the ball, and doing it the right way. If you have questions, that is understandable since it has been so long for most of us. I will do my best to answer questions you may have. I will be relying heavily on my memories of Largent catching the ball to help answer any questions, so my memory may be a bit hazy, please be patient with me as it has been a long time since I have seen it done the right way too.


How to catch a ball

4 comments:

  1. Note that he is actually looking the ball into his hands, his eyes are actually open! Also note that he has his hands in the proper position for catching the ball, even though the ball is coming in at a difficult angle. Lastly note that he is catching the ball AWAY from his body, he is not using his body to stop the momentum of the ball, as he must realize that the ball bounces, which makes it difficult to catch if it hits one's body or shoulder pads, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily we don't have just  Koren and D-Jack to count on this season. 

    Posted by vinny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to disagree with you Monkey, cuz you're the man, but that's not the way you catch a football. As a former WR coach, you don't want to catch the ball with one hand over/on the side of the ball, and one hand under the ball. He should be bringing that ball in with both hands underneath the ball. That's the textbook way to handle a ball in that position. Yeah, I realized I'm gonna get smacked for disagreeing with you guys. 

    Posted by Irishjames

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may be right, IrishJames, but let's not trash Cindy Crawford as the "ugly girl" just cuz she's got a mole on her face!

    Besides, you're probably not supposed to be whistling while catching the ball either, but he seems to be doing that too!

    ReplyDelete