Thursday, May 12, 2005

Is Seneca Ready?

Click the picture to relive Seneca's brilliant Monday Night pre-season game last season.

Also view this video clip at Seahawks.com about Juggs Machine (as Hass calls him. Thanks to alba for the URL to the clip.).

I know that this is a topic which has come up before, but it's one I am simply not satisfied with yet. I was wondering why it is that the Hawks are looking for a veteran backup QB when in my mind, the vets available really aren't any better than what I have already seen from Seneca. I wonder if we have all forgotten just how good he really looked in the pre-season last year.

One of the biggest criticisms against Seneca has been the criticism that he likes to run too often and doesn't stay in the pocket when he should. So I looked to see if that really is the case, and I have discovered that, at least last year, that was not the case at all. Here are a some stats that support my theory.

Game 1 - At Packers:
Pass - 14/26 135 Yds 1 TD 0 INT
Rush - 3 rush -2 Yds

Game 2 - Denver:
Pass - 12-26 156 Yds 0 TD 0 INT
(couldn't find his rushing stats)
Game 3 - At San Diego
Did not Pass or Rush
[Dilfer] 9/16 79 Yds 0 TD 0 INT
1-rush 9 Yds

Game 4 - Minnesota
Pass - 15/25 148 Yds 0 TD 0 INT
Rush - 1 rush 7 Yds

What I remember from watching him play last year, was a very poised QB with a much better than advertised arm who could make things happen with his feet anytime, which the defenses were forced to respect. He made good decisions, good reads, and most importantly had a good sense of timing with the receivers.

I realize that there has been a lot of talk about getting him on the field any way they can, whether it's returning kicks, or in a slash type role as a receiver. My question is, since we drafted David Greene and we already have Wallace on the roster, what would really be the harm in using him as our number 2 and in all those other roles? Is he really that much more likely to get hurt than otherwise? Not really, players get hurt all the time in scrimmages, practices whatever. Also, do we really want to carry 4 QB's on our roster? A bit excessive IMHO. Considering all the rookies who have done well at QB, would we really be in that much more trouble, if something (God forbid), were to happen to Hasselbeck? Would someone like Tim Hasselbeck (no longer available, just an example) really provide that much more stability than Wallace or even Greene could? If so, then why bother drafting QB's anyway? If our QB's will always be thought of as too inexperienced to play, then when will they ever get the chance to show what they are capable of? Ben Rothlisburger did fairly well as a rookie just last season, and coming into the year, no one gave him much of a chance of doing much of anything. Happens all the time. I just think that we ought to be using what we draft.

I really want to know what you guys think, as for me, I would like to see Wallace get his shot at #2 AND be used in any way Holmgren can come up with. If worse comes to worse, and both Hasselbeck and Seneca went down with injuries, does anyone really believe that we would have any better a shot at going into the playoffs with someone like Jeff George, than David Greene? I certainly don't! I look at the vets who are available and there is simply not one single name I would rather start ahead of who we already have.

16 comments:

  1. Monkey..the link was mucked up so I jumped in and fixed it...you needed the http:// with the href tag..hope you don't mind.

    You may want to also view this video interview with him from last year's Training Camp called the Human Jugs Machine

    ReplyDelete
  2. good topic. i am with you on this one. of course. we can only base our enthusiasm on a few pre-season games, and the coaches have a much better perspective of his level of play. and if they are hesitant, then maybe he's not ready to step in like that.

    but my thought has always been that quarterbacks get better by playing. and he's not going to get much better (at this stage anyway) by being our number three.

    and as you said, there is absolutely nothing around in free agency options. getting zorn back in there would be far better than anything else out currently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that i think about it, wouldn't it be cool to see zorn play again?

    if we really got in a pinch late in the season, and we needed someone to come in on short notice, i can't think of a better option. i think i can safely say he already knows the offense pretty well!

    how old is he now, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I want to see Zorn become our next head coach if things don't work out this year for Holmgren. I think that Zorn brings alot to the table offensively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want Seneca as our #2. I've been excited about him since before we drafted him (I'm an Iowa guy for college football, so I saw alot of him with the clones). I don't think that he should be doing anything else though. If we do keep him as a number two, and God forbid he gets injured during a kick return, that leaves us with no proven (even as proven as he is) player to cover for Hass. He would be great returning kicks and the like, but I wouldn't want to risk it.  

    Posted by PaulieP

    ReplyDelete
  6. first, I agree...ive been wanting Seneca to be the backup since day one...


    secondly, i have a QUESTION...is this Holmgrem's contract year? or is it next year?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I think that every year is basically a contract year for him right now. If he doesn't make the playoffs, he's probably out. But I think technically it's next year.  

    Posted by PaulieP

    ReplyDelete
  8. my guess is that holmie is gone if we fail to make the playoffs this year. so i guess you could call it a contract year.

    and as much i've had the same pipe dream of "head coach zorn", i don't think he's quite ready for that (yet).

    i think we could use a situational pass rush guy like boulware a lot more than any of the "veteran" qb's out there. don't they both cost around $2 million a year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's exactly my thinking as well Bret. Exactly! Why spend the money to carry four QB's when we still are desperate for pass rush? Makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, we carried four QBs last year (Hass, Trent, Seneca and Huard) so that's not really an issue.

    Second, we need a backup QB that we can rely on to come in and win a couple of games for us. Seneca may be the guy, but not really having any in-season game experience, it's hard to tell how he would do.

    Remember they used to call Hass "Mr. August" in Green Bay since he put up such great numbers in pre-season, and then looked like a deer in headlights when the regular season came.

    I agree that the compliment of available "used to be a starter" veteran QBs who would be happy in a backup role and fit in with our offense is slim to none.

    No thank you on Shaun King or Kordell Stewart. If we could have gotten Garcia, or Warner or even Flutie, that would have been okay.

    They're probably waiting to see who may come available after June 1, and if nobody that fits is available, then Seneca will be THE GUY.

    And you should watch the video interview with Zorn on Seahawks.com, who when asked about the increased workload of only having two QBs in camp, said "Matt took his reps, and Seneca took his reps, and when they got tired, I can still throw it around a bit, so it wasn't a problem!"
     

    Posted by albaNYHawker

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet he can still throw it around. I'm glad Zorn is still a part of the organization, I think he's a great guy, great for the team, and I still think he would make a great head coach (experience or no).  

    Posted by monkey

    ReplyDelete
  12. NFL | Couch to Come Back? - from www.KFFL.com
    Thu, 12 May 2005 14:08:25 -0700

    WKYT.com reports former NFL QB Tim Couch is hoping to return to the NFL in time to attend training camp with an NFL team. He had shoulder surgery about three months ago to repair three tears in his right shoulder. Couch is still going through physical therapy, but he's hopeful of throwing by June. His brother, Greg, said several unnamed NFL teams have been in contact with Couch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, he is ready. I don't think I want our #2 on KR, kickoffs are literally train wrecks. But I wouldn't mind him playing slash.

    And I just say "No" to Tim Couch. I don't think he is a better option than Wallace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good point JSC on Seneca returning Kickoffs or punts...remember what happened to NY when they had Shockey on the field on kickoffs.....oops! 

    Posted by vinny

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey, check out the flooble...I said that too!!! 

    Posted by albaNYHawker

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really don't get why teams have to sign these career back ups,guys like Jim Miller.Your not going to win games with a Jim Miller so why not draft a young guy and let him get more reps as a back up.
    Wallace is more then ready he knows the offence very well,if you bring in a vet back up he would have to
    learn the offence.Plus a guy like Wallace who has been here would have better command on the field,
    his team mates would more likely follow him then some journeymen backup.If Wallace ever had to come in to a game they should let him run around make plays with his legs,don't make him sit in the pocket the whole game that isn't his strength. 

    Posted by SHONUFF

    ReplyDelete