Saturday, May 28, 2005

Defense 101?


Click the external link to read the Seahawks.net article which inspired me to write this.
I have not written an opinion piece in quite some time, so I thought it was time (with no real news to report) to do so. While this opinion piece may (and probably will), infuriate some, probably mostly my good pal Vin, (who I do not mean to offend), bear in mind that, it is just an opinion based on observation.

For years now, we as fans have been patient, (well mostly), with the current coaching staff, thinking that if they just had the right personnel, the coaching staff could get this team to the promised land; after all, Holmgren has been there before. I too have said repeatedly that, for at least right now, there's no one better available to run this team than Holmgren. I believe that he is at the end of his rope, however, and should really only have this one last season to do something more than first round exits from the playoffs.
It's not really Mike Holmgren that I wish to discuss here, however, but rather, Ray Rhodes.
Let me start by giving a quote from the Seahawk.net article I have linked to through the external link. It's an article which I do not wholly agree with but which, nevertheless, makes some interesting and valid points and which I recommend you all read.

"Joe Theismann made an interesting comment at the beginning of the game (Saturday, January 8, 2005) he relayed a tidbit from an conversation he'd had with Rhodes in which Rhodes maintained that he directs the safeties not to break to the receiver until the ball has left the quarterback's hand. After two years of trying in vain to solve the mystery of Seattle's epidemic late safety help, I finally had my answer. The Rams first touchdown of the game (and the 6-play, 75-yard drive it entailed) was symptomatic of this issue. The Seahawks began the game as they ended it, rushing four and dropping seven, leaving enormous gaps in coverage for Marc Bulger to exploit. The third play of the game, a 52-yard pass from Bulger to Torry Holt with took the Rams from their own 37 to the Seattle 11, happened when Holt slipped through Ken Lucas' coverage and beat a late Michael Boulware. Keep this in mind when you criticize Boulware for breaking late in coverage, he is doing what his coach has directed him to do.

The Rams sole turnover was caused by Ken Hamlin's refusal to do this. On St. Louis' second drive, Bulger threw deep again to Holt from Seattl's 44-yard line. Hamlin did not bite on Bulger's pump fake, he instead followed Bulger's progression and was in place for the interception at the Seattle 4-yard line. This writer would like to thank Ken Hamlin for apparently disobeying his coach and making the right play."

I remember very distictly, Thiesman's comments about how Rhodes was telling his safeties not to break on the ball until it had left the QB's hand, and I remember thinking that, telling a player NOT to play instinctively is the WORST possible way to coach an athlete. Telling Michael Boulware, for instance, not to do the things he had been doing which had put him in position to make so many plays for us last year, seemed to me, the epitomy of stupidity.
As it turns out, the safeties did what they were told, and as a result, were beaten deep time, after time, after time, in that game.
My point is this, if Holmgren is on a short leash, Rhodes should be on a choker chain. Supporters of Ray Rhodes have called into question the overall talent on our defense, and have repeatedly said that he just doesn't have the personnel to work with.
I agree (to a certain extent) that this has been the case, though I would argue that our secondary certainly hasn't been so bad the last few seasons that they should have gotten torched late in so many games, giving up huge comeback, after huge comeback. The talent in our secondary man for man, is actually among the NFC's best, just the fact that the majority of fans have looked at our young talented secondary as the defenses strength, nore than proves that.
So what was the problem with the seconday giving up so many late points? Why was it that the "strength" of our defense was exploited for so many late in the game points? Was the lack of pass rush a part of it? Certainly yes, it was. Were all the injuries to our front seven a part of it? Without doubt! However, I would also argue that when a team has shown a propensity for getting beat in exactly the same way several times, there is more than just a personnel problem. I would argue that Ray Rhodes schemes defensively have been very sub-par, as is evidenced by the lack of adjustments made when an offense begins moving the ball seemingly at will against us.
Ray Rhodes has had this same sort of thing happen to him, not just the last two seasons for us, but in fact, on every single team he has coached. Late game collapses and stoggy, untra conservative schemes have been a trademark of Ray Rhodes defenses wherever he has been.

So what exactly am I saying with all this? Am I saying that Rhodes should be fired immediately, as the writer of the piece I have linked to asserts? No, but I will say this; given the personnel improvements we have made on our defense this offseason, Rhodes has no more excuses for giving up big leads and for failing to figure out how to get to the passer. I believe that Rhodes should be given this one last season to get things right or he should be fired. In fact, I will go so far as to say, that the very first time, this team losses because we gave up a big lead, or because a team was able to do the same thing to us successfully, over and over again, as has been the case, he should be fired immediately, even if we're only two games into the season. Rhodes has not earned the same kind of leniency that Holmgren has earned, he has not won at a big time level the way Holmgren has, and therefore has not proven himself to be winner at all. Therefore, the first time that our defense shows the quirkiness of the past two seasons, he should be removed.

As I said earlier, I do not agree with everything the writer of the linked article said, and I think that he is being somewhat overreactive, however, many of the points he brings up in the article have validity and should be honestly discussed.
I feel that, for this coaching staff, one last, last, last chance is in order, but that is really all, no more failures, and no more excuses are acceptible. This coaching staff has had the time necessary to put together the kind of team that they want, (in fact they have now had two rather large scale purges of players they felt were detrimental), they have drafted or otherwise put together this team, both offensively and defensively, so the argument that the personnel isn't good enough, is invalidated by the fact that, this is the personnel the coaching staff wanted.
Bottom line, no more excuses for failure will be accepted, the time is NOW and if they fail to get it done, then it is time for a change.

15 comments:

  1. Paraphrasing the the old quote about Shakespear, "I guess if you put enough Monkeys in front of enough web sites and enough painkillers, sooner or later they'll type War & Peace!"

    Reading your epic saga about our defensive coordinator reminds me how I got involved with Seahawks fan forums initially, and eventually this blog site.

    It was a direct result of our signature late game melt down against the Rams where I was SO MAD that I to talk to SOMONE...ANYONE about it, so I found the Seattle Times Fan Forum site.

    At that time I was calling for Ray Rhode's head on a platter, mainly because I was angry, but also because I can't stand that he doesn't face the press.

    Maybe if Ray had to endure a few grillings at the hands of the local media, he's be a little more cognizant of the need to shake up his defensive scheming.

    And maybe if a reporter got to ask this question to Ray in Week 1 of the regular season, instead of Playoff Week 1 (and only!), he would have figured out that EVERYONE knows our safeties break late on the ball, which is why we continue to get burned deep.

    Vinny will undoubtedly pop up and note about all the great defenses Ray has built in Philly and Denver, and how a coach could care less about what a newsman or fan thinks of his scheme, but I'm not buying it.

    Having the DC get grilled in a press conference will highten his awareness of the problem, and make his players that much more motivated to make plays, so they can avoid having to make their coach go through that nightmare again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should freak a few out but here it goes.......
    I agree 100%. The orders for the Safetys, if true is absurd. And, as was pointed out by Monkey, a key to several failures of our secondary to do their job.

    And I also agree that without a very marked improvement in our defense Rhodes' should be let go immediately following the season. But(you knew there was a but) I also think that 'if' our pass rush is improved the problem will fix it's self.....and I do have a theory on the 'order', could it be due to the fact that he didn't trust the ability of the young players to not bite on pump fakes.....we had a severe problem with fake plays the previous season. Not just on pump fakes but with draw plays as well(hence our lousy run defense).

    Anyway, I'm officially on board with the notice for Rhodes and would like to remind everyone here that my main defense of Ray was the fact that we had such a decemated defense last season. But I was also not aware of 'the order' given by Rhodes. But as i've also stated I think an improved pass rush will solve the problem anyway. And I believe they'll have that pass rush this season.

    Good Vinny. :D 

    Posted by Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. alba, umm...thanks...I think? LOL!

    Vinny, I hear your "buts" and I understand them which is why I stated that I thought the writer of the article was overreacting a bit. The big thing is, as you pointed out, getting pressure on the QB. If they can do that this season, I agree with you in your thinking that much of the defense will straighten itself out, and as I noted the injuries certainly played a part as well. He has the pieces, now is his chance to do something with them, if not, then bye bye Ray.
    I should mention that it would certainly help if we could still find a way to add one more edge/speed pash rusher...C'MON BOULWARE, sign with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been calling for his head pretty much ever since we hired him,all these points brought up in this epic are the ones that I have been ranting about for a long time. 

    Posted by SHONUFF

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, thanks for the link. As far as the notion that I was "overreacting" when I wrote that...well, maybe I was to a point. It was written right after Seattle's second consecutive first-round exit from the playoffs, and I was a bit frustrated. That doesn't minimixe the fact that Rhodes called a horrible game that day.

    The larger point (which the quoted passage only partially covers) was that Rhodes called inexcusable coverages - fourth-quarter, third-and-short situations for the Rams, and Rhodes has the linebackers backpedaling. Easy conversion after easy conversion. That's not injuries ot lack of talent - that's scheme. And is wasn't the only time it's happened under his watch, Remember the Dallas game?

    My comment about the late safety breaks was meant to indicate yet another way I believe that Ray Rhodes sets his defense up to fail with simplistic schemes and directives that have little or nothing to do with what's happening in front of him.

    Whether you agree with my POV or not (and I'm well aware that many don't), I wanted to take a minute and clarify the idea that I was overreacting. In my mind I wasn't (and reading the article again, I stand behind what I wrote), but I certainly see other sides on this. 

    Posted by dfarrar777

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking the time to comment dfarrar777. While i did say that I thought you overreacted a bit, I also said that I agreed with many of your opinions, but mostly I wanted to stress that, inspite of the good feelings we as Seahawks fans have right now as a result of our off season there are good valid reasons to remain concerned, especiall about our defense. I too was screaming at the T.V. last season watching our defense give it up like a cheap hooker time and time again.

    Thanks for stopping by, I liked your article and that's felt it needed a little more run so others could see it as well. Hope you come by again now that you've found the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 777, my only comment is that while you say it's not talent or injuries but the schemes......Rays 'schemes rely on the ability of LBs and the secondary to read and react to the play on the field....and because of injuries to our mose experienced LBs and DE, as well a our original Safety(Robinson) we had a bunch of young players still trying to adjust to teh speed of teh NFL. And I feel that many of teh blown coverages were a direct result of missed reads and bites on fakes.

    And when has it ever been said that Rhodes ordered the back peddling of the LBs? I've never see mention of that. And as for what Theisman wrote...well I've got my grain of salt handy.

    I'd also like to point out to esteemed reresentative from Albany, that Ray did hold a few grillings by the media. But as I've said, you can't make a purse oyut of a Sow's ear nor a quality Defense out of a group of backups and practice squaders.

    Now if we have the same result this season with the group of experienced players we picked up.(I said last season you need experience at LB.)then I say "By all means, give Ray the heave ho. But to blame him completely for the defensive failing is, in my opinion very unfair.

    And I don't recall Ray turning around any defense in one or two seasons, can't recall any coach pulling that off. You have to get the right players and then they have to have some sort of chemestry. Something our Defense did not have.

    And like 777, I know there are those out there that are grinding their teeth as they read this but that's how I feel about our season last year. It was not pretty but also no indicative of Ray's defensive prowess. I think this will be that season we get to see Ray Ball. 

    Posted by Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dubious conjecture that Rhodes' directive to safieties, "don't break to the ball until it leaves the QB's hand" is a folly is pure swiss cheese. I'm not convinced that those who believe he is in error for teaching that to his players know what they are talking about.

    For one, Theismann has always had a 'holier than thou' tendency, and will clamp on to any thought that makes him sound smart, regardless of whom he is criticizing. Who are you going to beleive? An ex-NFL QB, trying to find something thoughtful to talk about, or Rhodes himself, a successful former DB, and a trainer of Hall of Fame safeties?

    When Ronnie Lott was inducted into the hall of fame, in his speech he specifically credited Ray Rhodes with teaching him the "art of defense". I'm sure that in the process of creating the monster known as Lott, this 'when to break to the ball' motto was drilled into his star pupil.

    This evidence flies in the face of and armchair Defensive Coordinator critic who thinks that his scheme and techniques are at fault. The argument sound valid at first, but is a bunch of baloney.

    When your pass rush is decimated by injuries (and remember, that was the REAL problem last year) the QB will have so much time and the field is going to be so spread out there is NO WAY the safety is going to be in time for ANYTHING, assuming the QB makes the right read. The open man is going to be FAR AWAY from the safety and double coverage.

    The reason Hamilin happened to be in position for that single play is because he doesn't have the same level of self discipline, and tends to freelance a lot, and even if the QB made the right read, Hamlin suprised him by being somewhere else. But then again, for every big play like that he had last year, he was toast for five others. Don't get me wrong, I love Hamilin, but I think his coverage needs to be more consistent, and he needs to be a better student of the game.

    Going back to the thought of the pass rush, I think Vinny is right, the pass rush is the real problem. I think this whole notion of the safeties being instructed to break to the ball too late is a bunch of smart sounding poppycock and haughty horse puckey.

    Get a pass rush, and we'll see safeties who don't get burned by pump-fakes, and are there right on time to crush the receiver.

    'Nuff said. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue, how'd ay know that that was me......nice work Sherlock. (not that I was trying to hide my identity)

    Vin. 

    Posted by vinnyhawkalugi

    ReplyDelete
  10. And your' best point Blue...the fact that Ray made Lott the player he was.  

    Posted by Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well not to be argumentative, but Bluefoot, two things.
    First Lott made Lott the player he was, he would've been the kind of player he was no matter what horsecrap team he played with, he was that good and that focused on winng.
    Second, when Thiesman made that comment, I was watching the game and personally heard them. He was NOT being critical of Rhodes decision to do that, but rather was being positive. He was telling us that decision to let us know what a smart D coor. Rhodes was because of the adjustments he was making. It was just pure irony that he leaked the info on the same game where the safeties got torched deep for doing what they were told. Thiesmann wasn't being critical he was kissing Ray's butt and simply made them both look stupid for it.
    I will stand on my statement, that telling an athlete to not play instinctively is the epidomy of stupidity. I think that RHodes is a below average D Coor who at times bungles things badly and I think our defensive schemes the last couple years shows that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, I'll give you that about Theismann. I was giving him more grief than he deserved.

    But I still am not convinced that the way that the D was getting burned was the DC's fault.

    A players' reactions can be his best friend, but also his worst enemy. If he's not trained right, his reactions will kill his team.

    If a safeties' reactions to closing on the ball are routinely wrong, and he's jumping the gun and getting burned on a regular basis, a coach has no choice but to either bench him or correct the habit. If Bierria was biting on pump fakes, for example, I wouldn't blame Rhodes for telling him that the ball has to be in the air before he attacks. It's better than a TD over his head.

    One again, if there was a pass rush to speak of, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

    About Lott: Ronnie himself said that Rhodes taught him "the art of defense". Saying Rhodes CREATED him is an overstatement i guess, but if Lott thought he was a bumbling idiot that didn't know what he was talking about, I'm sure he never would have said that about him.

    Bottom line: Sure, a player HAS to play by reaction to succeed. But it's a coaches' job to train those reactions, so they are automatic and proper, because untrained reactions are often wrong.

    That's why so many plays are based on fakes.

    ADP, your'e a DB - What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i only played secondary in high school, but i feel like i understand defenses a little more than the average football fan.

    "not breaking until the football leaves the qb's hands" is actually not bad advice. look, there are a million different defenses, but if you are the safety then you are covering the deep zone.

    if you are a young safety, and wanting to make a big play, there is no greater temptation than being very agressive in your coverage in order to make a pick. this is why they will bite on fakes, and get burned deep. telling a bunch of young safeties to lay back probably saved us a bunch of touchdowns last year.

    i'm not saying that i don't have problems with ray rhodes or his calls. but this one quote is far from indicting evidence of his inability to coach a defense. i think our defense was doing pretty well last year for the first 3 games, and then there was a bunch of injuries and of course, the rams collapse.

    i think that affected the defense (and ray's calls for it) a great deal. so this year i am hoping for an improved defense. if it doesn't improve, then we won't go anywhere and both coaches will be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that's what I call a great explanation. And beats the hell out of all my lame a** explanations.

    Thanks Brett.(great name by the way) 

    Posted by Vin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, brett nailed it.

    I just can't see how telling his safeties that makes him a bad DC.

    ReplyDelete