Thursday, May 05, 2005

In Stevens We Trust?!?


Click on the external link to read Go2Guy's very interesting article on Jerramy Stevens.

Here's my favorite part which I think speaks volumes.
"On the final play of practice Wednesday, Hasselbeck scrambled away from defenders and side-armed a seemingly desperate pass over linebacker Tracy White. It was the kind of throw a quarterback doesn’t make unless he trusts the man on the other end.
That man was the previously unreliable Stevens, who sent his 6-foot-7 frame high into the air. With Hall of Famer Steve Largent watching from the sideline, Stevens came down with the reception on a play that had little business producing positive yardage.
“That’s the kind of stuff I’m hoping comes my way next year,” Stevens said. “The biggest thing is me trying to build confidence in our relationship on the field so Matt is confident going to me when he’s in trouble.”

If this stuff isn't cause for celebration I don't know what is! Of the guys who keep saying over and over that this will be the year they turn things around Stevens is (so far anyway) the only one actually walking the walk. Last season after he quit drinking, he still needed time to get caught up with the offense because of all the time he'd wasted. This year, after leaving the note for Hass about playing catch with him, he has participated in the 7:30 am workouts, and has been working consistently with Hass all through the voluntary camp, came in (honestly) in the best shape of his life to this mandatory camp, and because of Mili's problems and Hannam's knee, is taking all the snaps at TE in camp. Almost two years now of no stupid drinking, and he has taken these workouts and camps seriously.
Dare I get my hopes up? Could this finally be the year? I am starting to believe, I really am.
Stevens has been quoted as saying that his goal is 10-12 touchdowns this season. While I personally think that's asking a bit much, we all know he has the speed, size and overall skills it takes to do just that. His goal seems unrealistic but in terms of what he is actually capable of, it's not.
In light of Irish Greg's recent what if?... article, I would like to submit that, what if Jerramy Stevens suddenly became the kind of TE that we all know he is capable of becoming, and catches 10-12 touchdowns? I would say that if that happens, we could be looking at the team to beat in the NFC!
While I will need to see it before I believe that Stevens really has his head on straight, based on what he has done so far this offseason, and based on the fact that he has quit drinking even before last season, I am ready to embrace this guy and give him the benefit of the doubt.

6 comments:

  1. Now some of you may call me out for supporting Stevens when I have not supported Robinson. Here's the difference, Stevens quit drinking last season and so far this season has ACTUALLY taken the camps etc...seriously, not just alked about doing it, but has actually done it. Good enough for me, I don't ask much, just that they actually try. I don't want to hear talk about turning over a new leaf, talk is cheap, I want to see the kind of effort that Staevens is putting forth. If we could just get that much from Robinson I would get off his back, until then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you monkey, I am excited about Stevens doing well. With the increasing role of the Tight End in the NFL, having a star at that position will help out immensely.  

    Posted by PaulieP

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my boy.....

    Adopted by me for 2 days and the good ink is already rolling in.

     

    Posted by nyhawkfreak

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture of a proud papa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to mention how much it would help Mike's game plan, after all his scheme uses a lot of throws to the TE, especially in the Red Zone. 

    Posted by vinny

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the pro/kahn article on .com Linkagehe said Stevens went from 270 to 245. That is some pretty serious weight loss, wonder what his 40 times are now. I am liking him, Vicious, Karen, Mack and Shaun/Mo in the redzone this year, gonna be tough to stop in the air or on the ground.

    ReplyDelete