Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Power Rankings Are Dumb

People move up, people move down, all based on where they were last week, which is based on where they were ranked at the beginning of the season, which is based on pure speculation and pre-season hoopla. Record doesn't really matter, it's all completely arbitrary. Teams with more publicity are ranked higher than the less-publicized teams. It's so dumb.

So in answer to all this, I will not-so-humbly submit to you my subjective opinion of the top 4 teams in each conference. And by "Top 4", I mean the teams that I believe will be a force all the way through the season. This takes into account how they are doing now, and how I think they will handle the remaining schedule. Of course, each year there is some team that completely turns things around and comes into the playoffs red hot, and another team that does the polar opposite and misses the playoffs altogether. It's kind of hard to predict that stuff.

But that said, I can say that these guys are my picks for the strongest teams in the league. I'll start with the AFC.

1. Cincinatti Bengals. They are for real, and I think they can keep it going.
2. Indianapolis Colts. The defense is improved, and the offense will come around.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars. Scary defense and an up-and-coming offense.
4. Pittsburgh Steelers. Solid enough to get in and be dangerous.

You may notice that I skipped the Patriots. And while they are still very dangerous, I think their schedule and injury situation will make it a tough year for them. They can probably still get in the playoffs though with their weak division. Ok, now for the NFC.

1. Tampa Bay Bucs. Dominating defense and a running game is a good combo.
2. Philadelphia Eagles. Overrated, but still pretty solid.
3. Seattle Seahawks. If they can learn to win on the road, then watch out.
4. Atlanta Falcons. Dangerous enough to be big in the wussy NFC.

We've already played two of these "elite" teams, and went 1-1. We play two others in the last half of the season, and I think that will be a good barometer of how we really measure up.

6 comments:

  1. While it is impossible to disagree with the title of the post, power rankings are usually pretty entertaining, and allow us yet another chance to vent on the national media. That said, I find it curious you left out the Pats, who've beat one of your elite teams, but you did explain yourself. They will make the playoffs because of Pennington, Losman, and Ferrotte. They will be very dangerous there, regardless of "talent". Also interesting, no AFC west teams? All of them are also pretty dangerous in a playoff situation. And one of them will make the playoffs. I understand your point, but I would've hedged my bets... not that anyone is going to pull this up during the playoffs and say what a joke your predictions are I guess... anyway.

    I don't think the AFC is as cut and dried better than the NFC, or that the teams are as good as they were last year. I would agree the AFC was much better last year. Indy doesn't seem to be better overall, (sleeping?), Pats aren't, Pit can't be, that was a hell of a run. Jax may be better than they were, but they aren't that  good, they were more lucky beating the Hawks IMO. Cincy looks good, but the D ranking is not sustainable, excessive turnovers, see Seahawks, 03,04. Plus they played creampuffs. They'll win their division, but I don't see them being a force in the playoffs.

    The NFC rankings are pretty tough to question, even trying hard to not be a homer. Nice work Brett, but as you said, they are pretty arbitrary, and can't be anything more than guesses this early in the season.  

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i love brett's Philly answer

    OVERRATED, but I understand them being ahead of us everywhere...once we beat them on national tv and expose them with our high octane offense and their McNabb to TO or Westbrook love triangle...we will earn a spot ahead of them

    i know I bash the overrated Eagles alot...because they are...BUT I understand they are considered better then us so far...no biggy

    I just want to know how the Chargers get one win over a weak team, and jump from 19th to 11th while we beat the poop outta a team on the same echelon, and already beat Atlanta...yet are behind the Chargers

    at least 5 teams we should be ahead of that were ahead of us

    the Rams being in the top 20 is a joke...they are very close to being the worst team with 2 wins...give or take the Giants...

    the only real surprise to me this year is the Buccs...I knew they would be decent, but not this good...Bengals are executing perfectly, but their turnover consistently will level off eventually...Washington will get a reality check Sunday...Colts look VULNERABLE...I said all along Miami will be a lot better (think I said they would finish at 7-9 or 8-8 or something...dont remember, it was in monkeys post)

    im really sick of Houston...they really need to work on the oline...didnt Carr get sacked 70+ times one year? they should be able to upgrade over the offseason...they could be a LOT better with an upgrade at T and G...then again the would be an upgrade anywhere...its a shame...Carr will have a short career if their management dont get their head outta their Claytons

    ReplyDelete
  3. power rankings are dumb.
    great picture with this post.
    I never noticed that birthmark on Clayton's forehead before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Gorbechav(sp?) had it bad. 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right. they ARE dumb.

    But this one is interesting...

    It is based, not on 'anal-lyst' presuppositions, ingorance, and prejudice, but on DVOA. (You'll see).

    Be sure to read the extended commentary on the Seahawks and what last year's third down stats could mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the footballoutsiders. Great tool for analyzing trends based on non-traditional stats. If fox is gonna use this for their power rankings, then theirs aren't quite as stupid. Although it really is a crapshoot, see Deadskins, Washington vs the Cowgirls last week. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete