Saturday, September 10, 2005

Who Will be the Week one M.O.P., (most outstanding player)?

I thought about doing this as a poll but there is simply no way to do it, as anyone on the roster could potentially be the games standout player.

What I mean by M.O.P. is not necessarily the MVP (though it could be), but just the one guy who simply had the outstanding game regardless of positon. I make that distinction because, I believe that Hass or SA will most likely be the MVP just about every game this season, but there will always be someone in every game who will simply standout, similar to the way that Leonard Weaver stood out in the last preseason game.

What I want to know is who you all think will be the M.O.P. from week one.
I want to hear the reasons you think this player will be the standout, not just "I got a gut feeling." You can say that you've got a gut feeling, that's fine, but bring more analysis to it than that.

So to start it off so you guys understand what I'm talking about, I'll tell you who I think it will be and why.

I think this weeks M.O.P. will be Jerramy Stevens, because of the type of defense we will be facing this week. The Jaguars have an aggressive attacking style defense that just loves to put pressure on the QB.

To counteract this type of defense, we will need to get recievers to find the soft spots in the middle of the defense that Hass can hit quickly. Stevens is perfectly suited to be that guy because of his speed, size and the position he plays. I think that Jurivicius also has a good chance to stand out because of his size and hands, but I give the nod to Stevens because of the time that Hass and he spent working together this offseason.

I look for Stevens to be the guy who Hass looks to when he gets into trouble.
I look for him to catch the ball on those quick intermediate routes, to catch at least one or two big third down conversions and one T.D.

While after the game all the "experts" will be talking about Matt Hasselbeck and calling him the MVP, (rightfully so) the M.O.P. will be Jerramy Stevens.

Now it's your turn, tell me who you think will be and why.

10 comments:

  1. the Jags dont have much of a secondary, Darius is good, and Mathis is really their only good corner...and he would probably be our FOURTH corner, had he be on our team...he is prolly a 2nd or 3rd stringer for most teams...

    that said...I will go with Bobby Engram...Mathis will take on DJack, and Darius will have the job of keeping up with the slot receivers and the beast TE we have (if he shows up in the game)...that leaves a pretty bad Corner taking on Engram...

    Hass will pass like no tomorrow...though the Jags have a great run stuffing type of defense, SA has rushed for over 100 carries for over 500 yards against them...i believe the average was 6.2 per carry, in the last 5 meetings...they havent upgraded much recently, so im sure he has faced their dangerous D at one point...

    I think he will do good, but Engram will be left to pick apart their team...

    you may be built against the run, but their overall defense is overrated...a dangerous passing game like ours should wipe them off our schedule, and replace it with a big W...Engram will be the reason for this

    all attention to DJack, who will still have no problem with Mathis, and Engram will get the offense going...

    i predict Engram to have around 80-100 yards with a TD or 2...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that pick ADP, and I like your analysis. Exactly what I was looking for, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, i like feeling appreciated...ha

    though I do think I made a 'safe' pick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monkey - I love this idea!

    I'm going to pull a couple of outstanding players out of my arse, one on defense and one on special teams.

    Even though he didn't win the starting spot, I gotta go with my boy Kelly Herndon to be the MOP (most outstanding player) on defense. I'm predicting a lot of great pass defenses, and at least one pick.

    Here's why. Dyson is starting and has a reputation in the league already. On the other side, Trufant is a known quantity too. Herdon will be brought in for a lot of nickle and dime coverages, and when he's in, the Jags will probably try to exploit him, and that's when he's going to step up big.

    Add to that the pressure that Tubbs, Darby, Wistrom and our linebackers are going to be putting on Lefkowich, and I think there's going to be a few balls up for grabs on Sunday.

    I'm also picking Josh Scobey to have a big game on special teams, and be the first regular season recipent of the Moonlight Graham award.

    Why? Because that funny sound coming from the sidelines won't be Big Bird on amphetemines, it'll be Bob Casullo firing up his special teams unit, which is going to make a difference in this game.

    I'm seeing huge kick returns, with at least one broken for more than 30-yards, maybe even a run-back TD.

    Casullo is supposed to be the "Dean" of Special Teams coaches, and this is his first opportunity to showcase his skillz and put in some stuff that they've been working on in mini and training camps, that they didn't want to reveal during the preseason.

    Sure. These are "homer" picks. Hernon is my AAS player and I just love the name Josh Scobey. But I really think that both guys could step up big for us on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked the idea alba. I like the M.O.P. term you just coined, that could be a great way to do this. In fact...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Defensively, I think the M.O.P. will be Marcus Tubbs. He has just shown so much this preseason, that, like the Monkeys sang, this monkey too is a "Believer".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean Locklear. I think he has the talent to take the job, and this game is where he shows up in a big way. He will be going against Reggie Hayward, who is a plenty good pass rusher. Sean will hold him to 0 sacks, 0 tackles for a loss. Why? Because Hayward moved teams (last year with Donkos, 10.5 sacks), and Locklear needs to perform against this tough front 7 to keep the RT locked up. I think he'll be fired up, this is a rare opportunity for him, he knows Chop wants that job back and will get it if he doesn't show he is the man for the job. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  8. nooooooioo

    i came back to the thread to post Sean Locklear, I thought I was all insightful and stuff

    argh...i guess i agree with Josch then...

    I think he could make an impact...perhaps a bid that he SHOULD start? We will see

    this sucks...i didnt think anyone would think of him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. schnooze ya lose! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  10. you called it...i was dead asleep... 

    Posted by ADP

    ReplyDelete