Thursday, November 10, 2005

mon-KEYS to the Game

In every season there are some few games that the players, fans and the media can look back on and point to as critical. Whether they were turning points in the season, or simply major obstacles, every team has those key games on their schedules, which either make or break a season. This upcoming game against the Rams at home, is one of those games!
Make no mistake, I am not saying that we cannot go on to win in the playoffs if we lose this game, what I am saying, is that this is the kind of game that really defines what a team is all about, defines the kind of character a team has, and shows to the world just how good a team really is.
The Seahawks have played a few games that I would consider key games and have come out on top in all of them so far; the first Rams win on the road, the Falcons game, and most definitely the Cowboys game all fit neatly into that category.
Judging from the players reaction after the Cowboy victory I think that when this season is over the players will all point to that win and say that in their minds that game was the one that proved to themselves that they were for real.
However, this game, at least in my mind, is every bit as big, even though we have already beaten them once on the road. This game is for revenge for last years debacle, this game is for bragging rights in the division, and this game will once and for all shut the Rams yaps if we can win. It will not be easy, but this is very winnable, especially since we are at home.
So without further comment on this games importance, here are my mon-KEYS to this very important game.

Ever since Martz's illness has forced him to leave the sidelines, the Rams have played better as a team, partly because Martz is a lousy head coach, and partly because now the Rams are running the ball.
While I HATE the bend don't break type of run defense that we have played so far this season, I must admit that it has worked fairly well to this point. The Rams will no doubt try their best to establish a running game aginst us, and that we cannot allow. If that happens, it will allow Bulger too much time, and more importantly, Torry Holt too much time to get open and hurt us bad.
So my defensive mon-KEY #1 is to continue doing what we have done all season against the run, do not allow the big runs, and contain the running backs effectiveness. I do not think that it is vital to STOP the run so to speak, just to make sure that it isn't consistent enough that they can pound the ball down our throats, picking up first down after first down by running the ball. We must force them into third and longs, to slow down the running attack or we will be in big, big, trouble.
The reason that I say it is not vital to STOP the run, is because, to me, it is FAR more vital to stop one particular player who always seems to have big games against us, Torry Holt!
mon-KEY #2 We MUST STOP Torry Holt at all costs!!! This guy is the most dangerous weapon the Rams have by far. He has good games against us every time we have played them and is the one guy, who if we don't control, can single handedly destroy us.
What this means is, no more stupid zone defenses that allow Holt to catch those soft 15-20 yard gains he loves to do against us. This means NOT covering him with Herndon or even with Dyson EVER; he must be covered by our best cover guy, Trufant, at all times, and should be double teamed at times as well. ALWAYS know where he is on the field.
mon-KEY #3 No more soft zones period, no more silly three man rushes, THEY HAVE NEVER, EVER, NOT ONCE IN ALL THE YEARS WE HAVE TRIED THEM EVER...WORKED!!! STOP IT!!!
If I ever again see that stupid assed, sissy, three man rush defense which only prevents us from stopping the other team from scoring, I will scream until I pop a blood vessel! I hate that sissy defense with a passion, because it does not work and has never, ever, not even one time, ever, worked!
Against the Rams we cannot afford to play that weak assed crap, that defense is what allowed the Falcons, and the Cardinals to climb back into games we were easily winning; and that same weak assed defense is what allowed the Rams to come back against us last season. I can not say it clearer than this, prevent defenses prevent us from winning!
Personally I think that after the 10th time Rhodes ran that retarded defense and it didn't work he should have figured it out, I also think he should have been fired.
This ties into my mon-KEY #4 Stay aggressive throughout the entirety of the game. No matter what situation we are presented with, BE AGGRESSIVE! I am not just talking about blitz packagaes, (which still aren't working that well, because we still aren't hiding them well at all), I am talking about being unpredictable, calling blitzes, mixing up coverages, and most importantly, never, ever going into any kind of prevent defense. If we get a lead, keep doing what got you that lead! (Can you tell I am little miffed at the coaching staff for the playcalling defensively?)
NO MORE COME FROM AHEAD LOSSES!!! O.K. now I feel a little better having gotten that off my chest.
Strangely enough, against the Cardinals last week our four man rush was our most effective defense, when we blitzed, we gave it away (as usual) and they stopped it. When we went with the three man rush, we nearly gave them the game back (DUH), but when we got out of the zone defenses and went man to man rushing four, we stopped everything they tried to do. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but against the Rams I say we keep going with what is working best.

Offensively, this should be a no brainer, there is one thing that the Rams defense has not been able to do effectively all year, that is stop the run. Therefore, my offensive mon-KEY #1 is RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN, and then when you are done running, run some more!
Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating going away from the pass, certainly we must have a balanced attack in this game to win, but in the past, Holmgren has too often forgotten about the running game, he has far too often gone away from the most dangerous aspect of our offense, and frankly it drives me nuts. Obviously the Rams #1 defensive priority will be to stop the run, so they will go 8 in the box as often as they can, especially early on in the game. As long as Hasselbeck can pick that up and audible to something else, we should be O.K. The Rams defense is simply not good enough to make us (or for that matter anyone else) one dimensional. If we stay balanced, *knocks on Holmgrens forehead* meaning if we do not forget about the run, *knocks again harder* the Rams simply do not have the horses to stop our offense.
Here's a stat that I would like to drill into Holmgren's skull; when Shaun Alexander has 25 touches and over 100 yards, WE HAVE NEVER LOST A GAME, not once ever! When he doesn't, however, we rarely win. I can count the nuber of times we have won a game where SA didn't get 100 yards on one hand. It is that bloody simple, give SA the ball 25 times, or we will probably lose. Honestly I wish I could tattoo this message to the forehead of every single coach on the sideline so that everywhere Holmgren looks he will be reminded of how this team wins. I know he wants to be a passing team, but let's face it, when this team works best, it is because we call a balanced game. If Holmgren had his way, he would probably pass 70+% of the time, but if we want to win, it shouldn't be more than 55-60% of the time. And our record proves it.

Bottom line: This game is for the division. It is that big really. If we win this game, we win the division, and will likely be looking at home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Our defense has it's work cut out for them with all the injuries we have defensively and with the fact that the Rams offense is pretty healthy right now. Our biggest advantages are in the fact that we have already beaten them once, so we know we can do it again, and that this one is a t home with so much to play for. Also don't forget that this game is payback for last years debacle. This is a statement game (though I don't want Tobeck pointing that out before the game), and one we really should win.
If we stick with the run, and if we don't allow Holt to chew up the secondary, and we don't play that retarded conservative defense, we should win this game.
monkey's prediction: Seahawks 35 Rams 24

16 comments:

  1. I think that if our defense concentrates all on Holt, it could lead us into some problems with other receivers. The Rams by all measures have great depth at receiver, so shutting down Holt might come at the expense of the other guys getting some open looks. I think pressure on Bulger is key, he has always been interception clone, and he hasn't played in several weeks, if we can put him on his ass all day long there will be some bad throws that will get taken to the house. 

    Posted by gumbostu

    ReplyDelete
  2. THEY HAVE NEVER, EVER, NOT ONCE IN ALL THE YEARS WE HAVE TRIED THEM EVER...WORKED!!! STOP IT!!!

    I love it,, so how do you really think about that defense? 

    Posted by boydb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree with you more.

    Hate to say it, but I think Martz getting sick has helped the Rams Offense as much as Rhodes taking ill has helped our defense.

    This is not only a Statement Game, and a chance to seal the division early in Nov., but this is really our first PLAYOFF game of the season. It's that important to win this game.

    Losing it with the NFC East teams and the Idiotapolis Dolts looming on the horizon could trigger another tailspin. 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. the boys on Playbook just gave our o-line a lot of love, as well as Matt, JJ and J. Stevens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, as I think quite the opposite will important.

    First off, I think Steven Jackson is more important then the Rams receivers...good as our defense has been, we're not stopping everyone of their receivers, they will get theirs whether we like it or not...Jackson is important for two reasons, the obvious one being balance.

    The other reason leads to my prediction that neither team will score 30, and for these two teams, a low scoring game (for THESE TWO TEAMS...im not saying its gonna be 14-10...im saying 24-21 or so)...the reason why is because Jackson will get his carries, and that helps drain out the clock...

    I personally think, including the injuries, and the coach changes, that these two offenses are nearly identical overall (Holt is better then Engram, but we have Stevens, and they dont have a good TE)...so this will come down to the better defense...

    Which we have...well, actually the defense is so banged up you would think we lost a poker game with captain injury...but we still have a better defense

    This is a really interesting game, but since we already defeated them at full strength, with our top 2 receivers out...we're kinda in the same situation, as Engram has returned, but we also lost some defensive players...so ill stick with the home team here...

    I really expect this team to go 7-1 at home, AT WORST

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and I do agree...whether Vin likes it or not...Shaun has to get the ball more then our receivers...

    That clock has to tick quickly...

    I would say Hass gets 280 yards, 2 tds...while Shaun picks up 168, with 2 tds for 28 points...

    The Rams will get two td passes, and a rush td, along with a field goal

    28-24 is my prediction i guess, and of course im not picking the Rams over the Seahawks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gumbusto I hear your point and echo the sentiment, but I think people were getting tired of hearing me talk about hwo we needed to get a pass rush.
    Truthfully I could make the pass rush our #1 key every single time I do this thing, I think it is the number one priority for our defense each and every week. Especially with the Rams. Thing is, if we lose sight of Holt he will kill us, more so than can Jackson or Bruce or anyone else on that team. Holt is flat out dangerous, and I think that if we don't stop him he will hurt us all game. I would rather take my chances with anyone else on that offense than Holt.
    But I get the point you were making and notice I said that sometimes we should even double team him, not all the time, no no that would be stupid, too many other weapons. My point was that IMHO it is more important to stop him than any other player on the Rams by far, he always hurts us and I am tired of seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a bit nervous for this one, really. I've only been to a handful of 'Hawks games, and their W/L record in my attendance is around .500 or so. Since I'm making my QWEST Field debut on Sunday, I'm hoping it's a lopsided win for the Blue. It'll be interesting to see how loud QWEST is compared to the near-deafning 'Dome (that I actually really miss).

    Here's one person who'll make extra sure #12 has a good game. I gotta pick up some film so I can shoot some pix...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome, Paul. Bring back pictures, they would be grat to share on this blog. I'd be happy to throw you contributor status, I've apreciated your work on the 'Morsels'.

    I'd also like to hear what you think of the volume. It was pretty loud at last year's MNF game, but it's not what it was consistently in the old dome. Still, I like Seahawks Stadium better by far. I just miss screwing up the visiting QB's signals.

    BTW, I just got my tickets to the Colts game on Saturday the 24th! I can't wait! 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  10. monkey I hear ya, I feel that by and large our pass-rush has been very effective this year. I think however against a high octane offense like the rams our defense will live and die with our pass rush. 

    Posted by gumbostu

    ReplyDelete
  11. "this game will once and for all shut the Rams yaps if we can win " You honestly think that monkey... c'mon. That sir, is a bold faced lie !

    Agree, Tru should be on Holt, problem is his shoulder. I suppose he could make an exception here, but Curtis is as dangerous, IMO.

    Pass rush, not a problem. Stopping the run, again, I don't think that much of a problem, especially if Vitt fully buys into it. The problem is if they can catch us guessing wrong too much. At least with Martz there was no guessing... it's a pass.

    Agree, 3 man rush/prevent sucks. If they want to pull players, pull 2 backers, leave the 4 man line, if you have to have 6 DBs. The 4 man rush works quite well anyway.

    Re media coverage, NFLNetwork, ESPN (Mike and Mike anyway) Fox, everybody seems to be looking our way.

    So Paul has the responsibility this week. They better win, or it's your fault. I took the blame for the Jax game... sorry bout that fellas, I did what I could! Alba has the SF game, and Blue is responsible for the Indy game. Better luck than me fellas. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I can count the nuber of times we have won a game where SA didn't get 100 yards on one hand. It is that bloody simple, give SA the ball 25 times, or we will probably lose."

    I hear this sort of thing alot - in fact Steven Jackson said something very similar about the Rams running game.

    But correlation does not imply causation. When a team is in the lead and looking to burn up the clock, they RB gets lots of carries. And when the running game is working well, then the team stays with it to win the game. Blindly sticking to the run in the hopes that the team is more likely to win with SA getting 25 carries or more won't help if he's getting stuffed by 8 guys in the box, or for some other reason is ineffective.

    Case in point - the last few minutes of the Washington game. Handoff to SA, he gets stuffed. Hand off again, he gets stuffed. Hand off again. Then missed field goal.

    That said, I don't think the Rams can stop our rushing attack. SA will be effective, and should easily get his 25 carries, and 150+ yards. BUT if they do put 8 guys in the box and manage to stop SA for a while, the key is to adjust and go to quick short passes just past the line. Punish their defense for stacking up against the run. We largely failed that in the Dallas game. But then Dallas has a good secondary, while the Wams do not.

    Winning this game is HUGE for the Seahawks. It will prove that they aren't the "same old Seahawks". They'll stil make the playoffs if they loose, they will probably still win the division if they loose. But they need to win to have the confidence and....Ju Ju or Mojo or whatever you want to call it that a championship team has. Not to get ahead of the cart here, but if they loose this game, they will NOT be in the Superbowl. If they win, they have a good shot at it. At least that's my feeling. Maybe I shouldn't have watched that show Medium last night.  

    Posted by Highwatermark

    ReplyDelete
  13. The model I want the Hawks offense to follow lies in last week's win over the Cards. If they can be in a position to win when Matt only has to throw for 150-200 yards, that's good news. It means we're dominating the line of scrimmage with our O-line and Shaun is getting plenty of rushing yards. That means we can control the ball, milk the clock, and keep their offense from getting into a rhythm.

    I'll be honest. I believe this team has turned a corner. But I also know in the back of my mind what happened to this team last year. A win here, and the Super Bowl talk really begins. A loss, and it's S.O.S. (same old Seahawks). 

    Posted by Zach

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now Zack, if it's a good, close game and they look good but the Rams some how come back for a win, does that really mean same old Seahawks? Man I hope not, a loss to the Rams doesn't mean the season. And it would help to keep their heads outta the clouds, I actually think a loss to the Rams would inspire a win streak to the playoffs, just as the losses to Washington and Jax made them hunker down and improve.

    But in all honesty I think this is another must win game that they win. The Seahawks bulldozer continues knocking down the humps that stalled them in the past.

    Hawks in the NFC Championship game. And it will be a great game win or lose. How do I know?

    IT'S THE HAWKS! B) 

    Posted by vinnyhawkalugi

    ReplyDelete
  15. With the state of NFC, the Seahawks will stand a great chance to get to the Super Bowl IF they can get home-field advantage. You can't do that by losing home games.

    Besides, you know that if the team loses to the Rams (no matter how it happens), they, like us, will remember what's happened the last few years when they were unable to beat the Rams. To me, a win over the Rams on Sunday proves that this team is capable of more than just a first-round flameout in the playoffs. 

    Posted by Zach

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've come to a conclusion. Therefore you all must listen... shush! Playcalling and more importantly Matt's ability to audible will be the keys to this game. monkey argues that Shaun needs 25 carries, Highwatermark argues that carries come when they are effective. Both are true. The Seahawks are so balanced that they play off each other enough that a smart QB (and I believe we have one, see 88 yard run off audible) can field general and take advantage of any D, particularly a bad one like he'll be facing. So there, the outcome of the game falls to Matt being able to *manage* the game, whether that be by passing or running. And Paul and Bokonon of course, since they'll be there cheering.

    And I agree with Vin, a well played game that results in a loss does not mean SOS, it means *Any given Sunday*. A come from ahead loss would though... but that ain't happening. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete