Thursday, December 08, 2005

Flexible Scheduling


At the end of Inside the NFL, Bob Costas sat down with our favorite media dork, Peter King, and discussed the new NFL TV Package.

One of the things they talked about was that the Sunday Night game will now become the "feature game" of the week on NBC, and the ESPN Monday Night package will be somewhat secondary.

By moving the "feature game" to Sunday night, this will also allow for flexible scheduling, which means at the end of the season, NBC will have the right to cherry pick a game from either the FOX or CBS schedules, if the pre-scheduled Sunday Night game turns out to be a dog.

To illustrate this point, the said the following "you know, the 42-0 blowout of Seattle over Philly would have been moved and replaced with a more interesting game, like the Cowboy and Giants battling for the NFC East division lead".

Oh REALLY, Mr. King? Interesting choice for your example.

So you're saying that NBC would have better foresight than the GREAT AND POWERFUL MEDIA PUNDITS to know this was going to be a blowout, as if I'm not mistaken, you picked the EAGLES to win this game!

But the point of this topic is not really to bash Peter King, as much fun as that can be. My point it twofold.

1. to get a new topic at the top so the blogger header is no longer mucked up.

2. to get feedback on what people think about this flexible schedule idea

As they spoke, the mentioned CBS and FOX having a certain number of vetos to use to keep keep matchups on their telecasts, so there would be some level of equity.

From a general fan perspective, I'm for it, especially as we look forward to a Monday Night snooze fest between the Saints and the Falcons. However, as a Seattle fan, I'm not very excited, as it would just give another opportunity for the East Coast biased league and networks to further hate on the Seahawks.

Color code is - #cccccc?
Color code is- #dddddd?
Color code is- #eeeeee?
Color code is- #ffffff?

18 comments:

  1. Pros: It will show just how bad the experts are at picking games. What do you think will happen when they switch games, and the new game sucks and the original game is a classic? The second guessing will be hilarious. How long before they do a fan poll to pick the game? Hmmm, how often will the major markets be on Sunday night?

    Cons: Qwest field stops beer sales at halftime rather than the 3rd quarter for night games. It'd cause me to bitch out NBC and the volunteer cashiers from St. Joseph's Catholic High School. St. Joe's can't get off that easy.

    After carefully weighing the facts...I'm against it. 

    Posted by bokonon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger is still dicked up, we'll have to wait for Blues horribly wrong stat thing to die naturally.

    I couldn't care less at this point, but it's probably a good idea. Frankly, the last MNF sucked for everybody but us, and the remaining three should provide suckiness aplenty.

    After reconsidering, and although it doesn't affect me, I'll vote no in support of Bok. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be that Giants, RedSlur and Cowgirl fans, along with a certain #81 also enjoyed that game! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea, hate Peter King!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point skim. Sorry Blue, sorry... I didn't mean to be so hurtful. I'M SORRY!!! 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you didn't break a nail there blogger-boy!

    (LOL!) 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW...no comments on my choice of photo for this topic?

    Have you just come to expect comedic brilliance from my graphical tie ins??

    C'mon, my 3:30pm "john" canceled on my so the Feedback Whore is all jellied up with no place to go! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry baby, I didn't mean to treat you bad too... you know I love that pic, that better baby. Yeah, take that feedback, take it all!

    Ok, I gotta go wash my hands, I feel dirty. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gotta go smoke a cigarette... 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea. Are they going to hate on the Seahawks. Probably. But lets be real. there are certain games that you want to see, even if your team isn't involved.Like Colts-Bengals a few weeks ago. Great game, wish I had seen it. Or the Bears-Vikings game in week 17. Could decide the NFC North. Will anyone show it? No. Because at the beginning of the year everyone thought the Bears were good for three wins and a few laughs.

    I'm all for the Seahawks being on in primetime, but if this gives the networks the chance to show THE GAME that everyone wants to see...so be it.

    I'm sure next year, the Seahawks will be featured on MNF more than once and will make at least one SNF appearance. Under the new deal they should make a rule that playoff teams are guranteed two appearances and, if possible, each team is guaranteed at least one appearance.

    I mean, if the Texans can be on SNF twice this season, surely we can make into primetime next year, no matter what the rules are.
     

    Posted by Alan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that I have the Sunday NFL Ticket, it costs me money when the Seahawks are nationally televised!!! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like the idea simply for the bias...

    Yes, I watch other games outside of the Seahawks, but letting the media pick the games, means Giants, Colts, Cowboys, Eagles, Bears every week...

    No Thank You



    And Peter King might of gotten confused with Good Ole Saint Nick after his embaressment of picking against our team, knowing how dominant we are

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not to be an old fart, but the original picture  for this post was probably not in keeping with the image we wish to portray, and the post production edit by Bluefoot made it even more so, which lead me to put up a substitue jpg for this piece.

    However, if it's crass you want, here's a few that you will really enjoy, just not at the office:

    Wardrobe Malfunction
    (so people wouldn't look at her face)

    Read My Lips, No New Waxes!
    (my true first choice for this article)

    Something to Cheer For

    The Pleasures of an Oversized Racket

    Dance Beaver



     

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, that didn't work, so I had to go to PLAN B

    Reminder to click this link in privacy.

    So you want crass...  

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha thats crazy...i used to watch ice skating to see if that would ever happen...to my surprise, it did!

    thats freakin awesome man...lol...it seems to forbidden, as you're not supposed to see 'anything'...just makes it sweeter them then showing on purpose 

    Posted by adp

    ReplyDelete
  16. And here 's the original one I muffed up.

    Yes, I said that on purpose. 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still think that should say "Eat at the Y" 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I say bravo, bravo and well done sir. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete