Friday, December 30, 2005

Why Must the Show Go On?


(this is a reply to a post on the ST forum that I thought was too good not to share with my fellow bloggers! CAUTION: the cheerleader and Reggie Bush links may be NSFW)

Is there ANYTHING worse than a Superbowl halftime show?

Aged rock stars or the 'diva du jour' lip syncing on a overly decorated pyrotechnic stage, while cheerleaders and schoolchildren in indescribable customs parade around aimlessly with banners and flags and other implements of distraction.

The accoustics are horrible, the choreography is off step and it's a collasal waste of time, money and a great opporunity to go to the bathroom and refill your beer mug.

I understand that it's an 'entertainment event' and that the league has to justify a 4-digit face value ticket price, but why do they have to subject those of us viewing at home to this debacle?

I would rather see a marching band, punt, pass, kick competition, highlight/blooper reels from the season or even chimps on motorcycles!

Maybe they should give the other 3 networks that DON'T have broadcast rights to the game the rights to televise their OWN half-time show, of their own choosing, with no approval from the league.

Granted, with all the reality TV programming, we could wind up with executives from the 49-ers, Texans and Jets eating bugs or getting covered with rats for the rights to draft Reggie Bush.

But I have faith in good old American competition, and believe me, even if they do broadcast the NFL version of Fear Factor, it would certainly be more compelling that what we're going to get!

17 comments:

  1. NSFW alb... you know better. Thanks for that for me though, as I am not at work! Hooray cheerleaders. Hooray Reggie Bush! 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, al.

    My favorite halfime show had to be ZZTop and the Blues Brothers, or an imitation thereof.

    The worst of all time? Too many to list, but Aerosmith and Britney Spears is up there. So was Diana Ross' yawn expedition. A close third would be Up With People, I think during a Cowboys/Steelers matchup.

    But they all suck. They need to scap the format and go with something different altogether, like picking people out of the audience to play 'smear the queer'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C'mon JoSCh, I just composed that whole thing AT WORK, and you should see what Google returns when you search on "cheerleaders", "upskirt", and "pubic hair".

    Funny thing is that the Reggie Bush image was returned on the "Terrell Owens" search! Searching on "Drew Rosenhaus" brought back a lot of lower digestive tract xrays and a link to the Preparation H web site.

    And you can't really get in trouble for viewing Janet Jackson's breast at work when 20 million viewers say it first hand! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap I think I just "punted" four times!

    In fact I think I'm going to punt again.

    Anyway, to the point of this article, ya you're right. In fact, I never ever watch the halftime show, I missed the whole Janet Jackson thing because I was out of the room.

    The only reason that they have this stupid half time format, is so women will watch.
    This way guys will say to their honeys, "honey I am going to the Superbowl party at so and sos house", the honey says "not without me you're not, I know that what's-her-name will be there and she's always oggling you, and I'm not going because it's too boring, I don't get football" to which to which the guy can respond, "but honey, you always like those comercials and they have a halftime show you always like to watch".
    And viola, it's Superbowl party time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so, is that how you got Monster into football? 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....or is that how he go a football into Monster? You know the phrase regarding monkeys and footballs. 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was busy watching the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet (there was puppy named Dakota [er erm]...and he was freakin awesome to watch)...the show was pointless, but a better distraction...yes, believe it or not...im a big softy...

    I did however tape the SB on another channel, so I did get the nip slip on tape...nothing i havent seen before wink wink

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I did get the nip slip on tape...nothing i havent seen before wink wink" 

    ADP, Your momma doesn't count. 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom is dead. 

    Posted by adp

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaawwwww, crap.

    Sorry. 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol...

    Yet IM the non-manly one who hasn't seen a real nipple...hmmm..im not the one showing sympathy like a girl---

    ---I was kidding about that


    cruel yes...but i couldnt let you get away with questioning my manhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, I thought you might be doing that, but couldn't take the chance. You have displayed enough of an Oedipus Complex in the blog I figured anything was possible.

    At least I didn't 'go Vermeil' on you. ;) 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  13. "you should see what Google returns when you search on "cheerleaders", "upskirt", and "pubic hair". " uhh, yeah, I've never tried that, uhh, maybe I'll try it one day. WE MUST PROTECT THIS UPSKIRT!

    Never understood why saying your mom is dead stopped the mom jokes. Everybody's mom dies eventually. And mom jokes are almost always funny. Plus, on that particular insult, unless mom died in childbirth or shortly thereafter then it still probably would have been the first female nip a guy saw. Just saying. To quote Bobby Boucher, "I LOVE MOMMA!"

     

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  14. JoSCh loves his mom-ma,
    JoSCh loves his mom-ma,
    Cuz he likes her boob-y 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  15. The worst part is you used to be able to ignore the halftime show. Now you got to pay attention in case someone's nipple pops out. I remember when you could ignore the show, and take a good dump to make room for the 2nd bag of chips you going to eat in the second half. I blame it on Fox!
     

    Posted by bokonon

    ReplyDelete
  16. the fact people are even talking about their mom's boobs scare me...i looked away when i was born


    can't we talk about Altoids and Binaca, and their effects on pop culture? 

    Posted by adp

    ReplyDelete