Friday, December 30, 2005

Two Things that Chap my Willie

I couldn't sleep last night. I woke up this morning, not in the mood I wanted to be in. So now I just need to get a couple of things off my chest, before I lose all good judgement and blurt out some nasty surprises to those who work with me.

Here we go again. I heard several times yesterday, from multiple nationally syndicated sports radio programs, that the Seattle Seahawks are the favorite "letdown team" for this year's playoffs. The speculative reasons ranged from "no playoff wins in 20+ years" to "they really struggled against better teams, barely squeaking out wins" against teams like Atlanta, New York, and Dallas.

WHAT? Didn't we just come out and show the world the last few weeks what this team is all about? And didnt' we WIN those games against the tougher teams? Idiots. I'm glad this team has the maturity to not listen to these ignorant clowns that sell us short.

If you feel the same way, keep this in mind: In the NFC, history says the bye team wins 82% of the playoff games of the divisional round. Add to this the fact that Seattle has a tremendous HFA and a record of WINNING the tough games against ATL, NYG, DAL.

My feelings about the pundits? Screw 'em. Their picks will get them in the end.

Shaun's Alexander's contract situation. This is a very fun and happy ride this season. I am very grateful for the tremendous offseason from Tim Ruskell and Mike Reinfeldt. Locking up the long list of important free agents was nothing short of a miracle. But where are we headed this offseason? The thought is lingering in the back of my mind - How are we going to afford both Shaun and Hutch? The Seahawks have $3 million in cap space at the moment, and I know that will change. It is also too soon, and there are too many variables to say that we can afford one, but not the other. But both of them merit elite contracts for their position. It's not at all out of reach to say that a tough decision will probably have to be made.

What would you do, if you had to make the choice? The pure business side of me says sign Hutch. Linemen play effectively into their 30's, but running back performance drops precipitiously at that age. For the money, and best case-long term scenario, a team is better off going with the strong offensive line through the years and plugging in good running backs than putting all their money on one pair of aging legs and hoping holes will open up for them.

One problem that I will hate with this situation is what is going to happen in the PR side of things. We are already dumb for not signing Shaun already. If he gets the MVP trophy, he is going to be dreadfully expensive, more so than he was last offseason. The talking heads are already saying that if we let Alexander go, it will be one of the biggest FO blunders of all time. Signing Shaun to the one year contract last season sure seemed like a good idea at the time, but now all signs point to a public relations nightmare.

But thankfully, we don't have to think about it now. Shaun and Hutch have been the epitome of good judgement and professionalism about the situation, and we can enjoy this great season and the playoff run with pure joy and without distraction. Both sides appear to be content with winning games and working it out after the season. We can face the truth later.

But their are clouds on the horizon. Be sure to enjoy the sunshine.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry Bluefoot, if I knew you were doing an Alan-esque illustrated post, I wouldn't have done mine.

    I'm not sure what it is with the nat'l media that they feel compelled to immediately start pumpining someone else as soon as it appears Seattle is getting a little love.

    Shaun leads the ProBowl balloting, they need to make a big deal about it, so eveyone else can go vote for Manning. Seahawks stick it to the Colt FIRST TEAM, and let's talk about how soft the NFC West is.

    Shaun leads the MVP balloting, they need to start talking about Carson Palmer and Tom Brady! Lofa leads the D-ROY conversation, so let's have Shawne Merriman on NFL T.A.

    Seattle is going to rest starters in Green Bay, so let's talk about whether it's ETHICAL, no mention of this when Indy rested everyone last week in Seattle, in a game with direct playoff implications.

    On the second topic of Shaun's and Hutch's contracts, I've taken a very Zen-like approach and just keep chanting "in Ruskell we trust, in Ruskell we trust".

    We're all caught up in the HYPE of this season, the awesome team record, and the individual records and accolades for Shaun. But we're just won loss away from that all being yesterday's news, and in this business, what you've done a few weeks ago is old news at best.

    What I mean is that Shaun will indeed get "market value" in his next contract, as that's what free agency is all about. However, he was free to seek a trade last off season, and there were no takers, and not much is going to change this season.

    My feeling is that a month or so after this season ends and all the hoopla dies down, the two sides will start SERIOUSLY negotiating, and they'll come to a deal before the beginning of free agency.

    Hutch is a no brainer. Pay the man what he's worth or franchise him. No way he walks.

    (and that last picture reminds me of the panhandler in NYC that came up to me and asked "would you like to make a donation to the United Negro Pizza Fund?")

     

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great creativity Blue, very nice.

    Gotta agree, Hutch should be the priority, frankly I'm shocked they didn't get him done already. Regarding Shaun , linked article indicates he may play hardball. I still have a degree of faith that he'll sign reasonable since he probably won't find a place that will pay him and has a shot to win, but if not I say sign Najeh Davenport from GB. He's an FA, a big back, can catch, and crapped in his ex-girlfriends laundry hamper in college. Thats enough for my vote! At least he didn't beat her up.

    And I concur, lets enjoy this sunny weather, its about time. Of course it's probably global warming, D'oh! 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read that quote as Shaun playing 'hardball'. Some idiot on the PI forum posted it under the heading "Shaun quoted as wanting to be the highest paid running back" or some other such non-sense.

    What that quote says to me is "I know what I'm worth, I trust who I'm dealing with, and I'm not going to let it distract me right now."

    The "Market Value" with a wink crack is just his way of deflecting the direct question about the dollar value. 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Bluefoot, if I knew you were doing an Alan-esque illustrated post, I wouldn't have done mine.

    No problem - My pics are funnier. Besides, it's Alan who should be pissed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im more worried about who our coach will be next year...

    The fact that Holmgren is already endorsing Gil Haskell to coach somewhere scares me...1. Haskell is a great Offensive Coordinator...2. Could Holmgren be trying to push him into a HC job HERE? As in...Holmgren is done after this year? I don't want Mike Martz or Steve Mariucci here...Im not afraid to bash Holmgren's stupid playcalling on occassision...but in no way have I ever said he has to be fired...mainly because who will replace him? Herm Edwards? Dick Vermeil? We spent WAY too many years under this offensive system that I fear a change would destroy our team...to me, its either promote Haskell...or go all out for Holmgren

    That said...we also got to resign Mo Morris (or we'll be drafting a backup next season unless they rely on Weeks...even then we need a 3rd back)...isn't Josh Brown a free agent or restricted or something? Rocky Bernard...

    Im trying to ride this season without worry about next year...but when you break it down deep enough...there is a HUGE uncertainty next year, not too far unlike last year (though nobody could tell me they weren't shaking in the final hours before Hass and Shaun became a free agent...remember Hass reportedly signed within TWO hours of the deadline)

    Even if we resigned everyone...we need a coach under this system to fit this team...the only two out there---Marucci and Martz---are horrible fits (Martz has no defense; not to mention his 'Have You Seen My Baseball???' mentality...and Mariucci doesn't have the balls to coach a team like ours)

    We need Holmgren to stay...its bittersweet, if we win it all this year...it decreases the chances of him returning...we exit early...he'll prolly be done with his business here...losing the SB seems like the only way...but none of us wants to do that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Bluefoot. The media will never give us credit. A win is a win the Patriots won 3 superbowls by a combined 9 points i guess they should suck since they can't win a game by more than a field goal.

    If we go far in the playoffs and we will the bargaining should become easier. Alexander is a winner and i think he would rather sign in Seattle for less money than in SF ot Houston for more besides he has the best line here what else can he want. Hutch should be re-signed i think Ruskell has him higher on his priority list.

    I hope Holmgren stays honest to goodness, i think everyone finally grasps the system. If we do get another coach we better be usin the west coast offense.  

    Posted by o-meezy

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I don't want Mike Martz or Steve Mariucci here " I for one would like Mooch, he'd be able to lead the offense fine, IMO, he can lead an established O. He apparently can't lead a young team or a super prima donna (TO). The only problem would be defense, I would hope Ruskell would impose his will when it came to D coordinator. Not that I want Holmgren to leave, just if he does, Mooch is one of my favorite coaches. Martz, uhh, no thanks.

    If we keep Mo, and Shaun leaves, expect us to become the Eagles West, I don't think Mo can be a good rushing back, won't until he proves he can be. He could be a good Westbrook type back. I still say Dookie Davenport if we need a Shaun replacement.

    "Patriots won 3 superbowls by a combined 9 points i guess they should suck since they can't win a game by more than a field goal." Well no meez, thats uhh, different. Not sure why, it just is, accept the ESPN viewpoint of be assimilated. Mr. Mackey knows best, m'kay. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Patriots won 3 superbowls by a combined 9 points i guess they should suck since they can't win a game by more than a field goal." Well no meez, thats uhh, different. Not sure why, it just is, accept the ESPN viewpoint of be assimilated. Mr. Mackey knows best, m'kay. 

    Hmm. I'm used to you providing substantive logic with your posts, JoSCh. It looks like you are as much of a victim if the Patriot 'mystique' as anyone. I side with meezy's take.

    The only substantive difference to the Pat's squeaker Superbowl wins and the games vs. NY and Dallas is that, well, obviously, the stage and level of intensity is going to be much bigger in the big show, and that in the games of the Seahawks, it appeared to many that the opponent dominated much of the game, and was reflected in the stats. Hence the 'lucky' tag.

    Again, the only thing that is going to solve the media slights is a deep run in the playoffs. Even then, you know there will be a few naysayers on the East coast, and we will have been well trained to take offense to them, but at least there will be a good dent in their thinking.

    One game at a time, I expect to see more epiphanous headlines from different writers, saying, "the Seahawks are for real". 

    Posted by Bluefoot

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was sarcasm Bluef, I agree with the meez-meister. Although I do think the Pats are the most dangerous team in the AFC, based on the mystique. Pats, pretty much like any winning team, are good and lucky. This year, so are we!

    And quite frankly, F@*K east coast bias, who cares what they say, as long as our boys get some time on Countdown and Total Access, I'm happy. 

    Posted by JoSCh

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Mooch too...I just don't like his chances of running our team as opposed to Haskell or someone else...

    Does anyone else like the though of Haskell running our team, should Holmgren leave?

    As for the Patriots...their 1st SB of their 'dynasty' was interesting...thats the first time I called the winner at the beginning of the playoffs and got it right (when they ran into Pittsburgh...everyone around here said they had no shot)...Pats and Red Sox need to succomb to some painful losses to get these Boston fans to pull their head outta their asses...nothing but spoiled I say! Sit down, shut up, and have a spot of tea! 

    Posted by adp

    ReplyDelete