Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Martz is a NUT!

A funny article, at least to me it is, click the external link for the full story. I have lifted some of my favorite parts.

"When second-year quarterback Jeff Smoker arrived at Rams Park this past weekend for minicamp, he found a spanking-new number 15 jersey awaiting him.

Martz believes that some numbers carry bad karma and that 9 is one of them. Trouble was, Smoker had worn 9 since his junior football days and didn't want to give it up. So that's what he wore during his rookie season.

A highly placed team source said the new number was accompanied by a threat from Martz that Smoker would be released if he didn't comply. ``No, he didn't say that,'' Smoker insisted. ``But I kind of took the hint and switched the number. So, I guess I'll be 15 now.''

But Smoker hasn't quite adjusted to 15 yet. ``I think it makes me look fat, the two digits,'' said Smoker, 6-foot-3 and 223 pounds. ``I liked just the one digit. It kept me looking more slender and athletic. But, whatever. It's just a number."

Seriously, could Martz really be any weirder? And apparently Smoker ought to be playing with the Retardinals considering the "I think it makes me look fat" comment, perhaps he would rather strut his stuff in a "cool" new Retardinals uni.

While looking for anything related to this thread that also may be funny, I noticed that the P-I forum had also run a similar thread. While reading the comments, I came accross this comment from our very own NYHawk Freak which I thought was terribly funny and also quite clever.

"If #9 is a bad karma number -- Martz CAN NOT be happy with his schedule this year:
His #9 regular season game of the year: SEATTLE SEAHAWKS at home
If you want to really bug him out: Count the pre-season games (4) and it means Martz and the Ram's 5th game of the year AT SEATTLE SEAHAWKS is the NINTH overall game for the Rams.
On a side note - did you see Smoker's comment about the switch:
I think it makes me look fat, the two digits,'' said Smoker, 6-foot-3 and 223 pounds. ``I liked just the one digit. It kept me looking more slender and athletic. But, whatever. It's just a number.''
That's the kind of old school football mentality I like to hear......from other team's players. :)
Hey, Martz -- have you met our new kicker, Niney McNineinstein?

Cheers,
freak"

You gotta love the thinking that went into that post, nicely done Freak!

14 comments:

  1. Admittedly, the picture is a little freaky, but it sstruck me as funny somehow too. I'm still laughing at the ridiculousness of Martz! What a goof ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While looking for anything related to this thread that also may be funny, I noticed that the P-I forum had also run a similar thread. While reading the comments, I came accross this comment from our very own NYHawk Freak which I thought was terribly funny and also quite clever.

    "If #9 is a bad karma number -- Martz CAN NOT be happy with his schedule this year:

    His #9 regular season game of the year: SEATTLE SEAHAWKS at home

    If you want to really bug him out: Count the pre-season games (4) and it means Martz and the Ram's 5th game of the year AT SEATTLE SEAHAWKS is the NINTH overall game for the Rams.

    On a side note - did you see Smoker's comment about the switch:

    I think it makes me look fat, the two digits,'' said Smoker, 6-foot-3 and 223 pounds. ``I liked just the one digit. It kept me looking more slender and athletic. But, whatever. It's just a number.''

    That's the kind of old school football mentality I like to hear......from other team's players. :)

    Hey, Martz -- have you met our new kicker, Niney McNineinstein?

    Cheers,

    freak"

    You gotta love the thinking that went into that post, nicely done Freak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There, I reposted it so that Freaks comment appears in the main thread, I like that better, it was too clever and funny not to put directly into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    That picture is scary. Really, that will keep ya up at night.

    Regarding the story, there is little to be said that hasn't been said already, but "I think it makes me look fat", I think that statement makes him sound like a woman. ADP said it best earlier, we are the sanest team in the NFC W, and seemingly getting saner while the other teams spriral down.

    Somebody tell Martz that the letters S, E and A also have bad karma. Fricking idiot. Gawd I hope he stays in StL forever. 

    Posted by Josh from SC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly Josh! I agree that there's not much to be said about this, but I just had to post it, given the Freaks cool comments on it in the P-I thread, I just had to give Freak some props for that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. monkey, there is lots to be said, as you pointed out its already been said so well by freak, and frankly by the lambs themselves. The lambs make it way too easy. "I look fat in this" ferchrissakes. Can you imagine asking a buddy, "Hey dude, I think I look fat in this shirt, what are your thoughts?" I know I can't, and if I did I hope my buddy would have the decency to kick my ass on the spot for being a sissy. Why would you say that to the media? Is onlinegaydating.com not working out, so yer trying to spread the word that you are single and trolling?

    Not that there is anything wrong with that... 

    Posted by Josh from SC

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Is onlinegaydating.com not working out, so yer trying to spread the word that you are single and trolling? "

    Damn dude! I almost hurt myself laughin! Now that's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even better, "Can you imagine asking a buddy, "Hey dude, I think I look fat in this shirt, what are your thoughts?" I know I can't, and if I did I hope my buddy would have the decency to kick my ass on the spot for being a sissy."
    True dat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol this is some funny stuff


    Mike Martz continues to freak me out...if he wants bad karma...wait until he gets a dose of what we had to endure...i dont mean just a dose...i mean an overdose


    but NYHawk came up with some great stuff there...i hope someone points it out to Martz...maybe it will get under his skin enough to screw up the way he calls the games (9th and 9th games...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to point out that Smoker's 6'3" 6+3=? Uh-oh, maybe he'll have to wear elevator cleats.

    Mike Martz---Mike(4 letters) Martz(5 letters) aarrgghhhh! 

    Posted by vin

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha good stuff Vinny...

    maybe he should remove himself from society for awhile, being his name is bad karma...or he could change his name to Don Mexico...oops, thats 9 letters too... 

    Posted by ADP

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is going to be a fun thread for awhile.

    And thanks for the props A.

    Don Mexico....Sweet!
     

    Posted by vin

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Smoker guy's first name isn't really Richard "

    HAHAHAHA. I can't believe that slid by. I was so trying to get something to gaff his last name in that manner, well done B7. 

    Posted by Josh from SC

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard his cousin's name is Pete Pufer.

    Sorry 

    Posted by vin

    ReplyDelete