Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Top 50 players

Pete Prisco, a CBS sportsline senior sportswriter has written his annual 50 best players article (click the external link to see the story).

Not surprisingly (or surprisingly depending on how you look at it), only one Seattle Seahawk made the list of 50, Walter Jones, at #13. Here's the remark about Jones: "13. Walter Jones, T, Seahawks: An outstanding pass protector who plays like a man much lighter than 300 pounds. Now that he has a long-term deal that will have him in training camp for the first time in a few years, he will be even better."

It wouldn't have bothered me that other Seahawk players were left off, if I had not seen the rest of the list, which included things like; 26. Ahman Green, RB, Packers: He is a fantasy player's delight. The one knock on him is that he fumbles too much.

A fantasy players delight? First off, I had Ahman Green on my team last season after drafting him in the first round and there was no bigger disapointment on my team. Green had a terrible year fantasy wise last year! Secondly, if he is rating these guys by fantasy stats, Shaun Alexanders numbers were FAR better last season. How does Ahman Green get ranked #26 when Alexander whose numbers were far better last season, not even make the list?

Here's another one that killed me. "33. Jeremy Shockey, TE, Giants: The only thing holding him back is injuries. He and Eli Manning will be special together this season. "

Are you serious?!? Jeremy Shockey is not even in the top ten of TE's much less #33 best player in the NFL! Shockey is a product of the east coast media, nothing more. Last year, Shockey was one of the most dissapointing players in all the NFL by far, he had a lousy season. His numbers have tailed off horribly since his rookie season and other than his mouth (which is clearly in prime pro bowl condition) he is nowhere near being a pro bowler. Can anyone honestly tell me that Jeremy Shockey is a bettter overall player than say, Shaun Alexander, Steve Huthinson, or even Matt Hasselbeck? No way!!!

8 comments:

  1. As I've said before....the national medaia and sports gurus are idiots. And why anyone even cares what they say is beyond me.

    If it's about being popular, get over it....the Hawks will 'never' be popular. Not even if the win a Super Bowl. And the brainiacs out there that don't think that Matt and Shaun should be on that list just prove once again that the national media have their heads up their collective asses.

    And again proves my point about why I HATE  any sports news outlet that's tied to a TV network. Fox, CBS and ESPN in particular. 

    Posted by vinnyhawkalugi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't for the life of me figure out how he could rank Jeremy Shockey, one of the biggest underachievers in the NFL last year in the top 50 and yet leave off the NFC's leader in rushing yardage and touchdowns! WTF?!?
    I would put Hutchinson on that list wayyyyy ahead of Shockey, who hasn't done anything other than run his big mouth. What a load!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to say it, but TWO WORDS explain why Shockey is on the list: NEW YORK! 

    Posted by alba

    ReplyDelete
  4. You answered your own question Monk, east coast bias.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK check, that's a good point, (BTW where the heck do you get that kind of info anyway? Are you sitting at wrok crunching those numbers? My hat's off to you for that kind of detailed analysis!)
    I still hold that Shockey is a product of the media who loves to follow guys like him around though. And I still hold that his name wouldn't even be mentioned if he didn't play in New York.
    But still, damn check, that was some serious ass research! I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check, I concur with monkey, swell analysis. You might be a little sick.

    Re Shockey, he is admittedly pufffed up by NY media, and also by the fact that he went to "THE U", but he is a hell of a player. I mean, it's not like he is a f-ing warrior like some other Mia TEs (how's yer kidney, Evil, get a Vespa) but he is a bad-ass TE. Over-rated, sure, but its not like he sucks.

    He doesn't belong on this top 50 list, and Shaun does, IMO.  

    Posted by Josh from SC

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still unemployed, so I'm not getting paid to crunch these numbers. I figure when I don't wake up till 11:00 I can afford the time required to support the arguements I agree with. And JoSCH, I was a little sick, I'm not now. Penicillin cleard that one right up. 

    Posted by check

    ReplyDelete