Thursday, June 23, 2005

Remembering Steve Largent



The Sporting News has Steve ranked at #46 in the top 100 football players of all time.

I say thats pretty damn good. considering that this team has had some awfully good players that could be on that list too. But its very tough company in the NFL and we here at 12 Seahawks Street are very biased twords our players. We would probably have at least 10, maybe more, players on that list. When in reality, not many people really know who most of our favorites are. Sure, other players know just how good the likes of Kenny Easley, Dave Brown or Jacob Green were. But this is a very tight list of players and Nationaly we get very little recognition by anybody in the world of football.

Yet this man is the one guy that nobody could overlook. everybody knows who, quite probably, the single "greatest" player to ever grace the NFL is. Steve owned almost every recieving record that was on the books at the time he retired. It took a man like Jerry Rice to eventually break most of his records that went on to become arguably the best player in the history of the NFL. But Rice may not be the greatest player by certain standards. The standards that were set for every player that will ever follow the legend of Steve Largent.

There is but one who has graced us with his presence. One that taught us what it meant to be unselfish. One that set the bar very high for us to be a class act orginazation, filled with honerable team players. A team that had no room for primadonna's and selfishness. Thats just fine by me, MaxHawk.



Call him the master of illusion. When Steve Largent ran pass patterns, he always ended up here and the defender over there. That was the special magic of the record-setting wide receiver, who emptied his bag of tricks over a 14-year career with the Seattle Seahawks. When Largent zigged, everyone else in the stadium usually zagged.

Longtime Raiders cornerback Lester Hayes called him "the master of tomfoolery," a reference to Largent's ability to deceive cornerbacks. But he also will be remembered as a consummate pro who squeezed everything from his ability with a meticulous, cerebral approach to his craft. He didn't have great speed and had less than ideal size (5-11, 187), but he more than made up for those shortcomings with exceptional lateral quickness, great balance, body control and soft hands that seemed to pull balls in like a magnet.

Covering Largent was like a game of cat and mouse. He could run the same pattern on three straight plays and beat the cornerback in three different ways. He would use a move on one play to set up a later one, throw two or three incomprehensible moves into one feint and run unusual routes that played with the defender's mind. Largent was unsurpassed in his preparation, a picture of total concentration. It was all part of a precise plan, conceived and executed by pro football's ultimate possession receiver.

Largent was a 1976 fourth-round pick of the Houston Oilers but was traded during his first training camp to the Seahawks for a 1977 eighth-round pick. By 1989, he had carved out his place as the greatest pass catcher in NFL history. When he retired, he owned records for most catches (819), yards (13,089) and touchdowns (100), all marks that have since been broken, and his eight 1,000-yard seasons still rank second only to Jerry Rice's 12. Largent, who once caught passes in 177 consecutive games, earned seven Pro Bowl selections.

"When I got here and had a chance to watch him on a regular basis, I was amazed. In my mind, you can take every superlative you can think of and apply it to Steve Largent. He's that good."
former Seahawks G.M. Mike McCormack, 1984.



Steve had 70 or more receptions six seasons, 50 or more 10 years. . .Led NFL in receiving yards, 1979, 1985. All-Pro, 1983, 1985, 1987. . . Picked for seven Pro Bowls. . .Missed only four games with injuries first 13 seasons. . . Born September 28, 1954, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, a 5-11, 187-pound wide receiver with only average size and speed but armed with exceptional determination and concentration, became one of history's most outstanding pass catchers during his 14-season, 200-game career with the Seattle Seahawks from 1976 to 1989.
Steve was enshrined into the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame making him the only true Seahawk to have ever been blessed with this honor. Steve was a true Seahawk, playing his full career in Seattle.

Largent returned to Tulsa in 1989 and soon became active in politics. However, he didn't make his first run for office until 1994. That year, 1st District Congressman Jim Inhofe ran in a special election to succeed Senator David Boren, Largent entered the Republican primary for the Tulsa-based district. He won the nomination and went on to win easily in November. He was reelected three times, never winning less than 60 percent of the vote in the heavily Republican district.

Like many of his colleagues in the Republican freshmen elected in 1994—when the Republicans took control of the House for the first time in 40 years—Largent's voting record was strongly conservative. However, Largent was one of the few "true believers" in that freshman class. He devoted most of his time to issues important to the religious right. One of his first bills was a "parental rights" bill that died in committee after it attracted opposition even from other Christian conservatives. Another one of his early bills would have abolished the federal tax code at the end of 2001, a measure that only made Republicans appear fiscally irresponsible in the press. He opposed ending the 1996 federal government shutdown, and when it ended was one of the major players in an attempted coup against House Speaker Newt Gingrich. After the Republicans suffered heavy losses in the 1998 midterm elections, Largent was one of a group of Republican congressmen who drove Gingrich into retirement. Largent himself tried to take advantage of discontent with Majority Leader Dick Armey by challenging Armey for the post. However, he lost because he wasn't seen as a team player.

Despite this, Largent decided to run for Governor of Oklahoma in 2002. He easily won the Republican nomination, and resigned his House seat to devote all his energy to the race. Initially seen as an overwhelming favorite against Democratic state senator Brad Henry, his campaign lost ground since most Oklahomans outside of the Tulsa area didn't know where he stood on issues. It didn't help matters that an independent conservative was also in the race and siphoned off much of Largent's base. Perhaps his biggest misstep occurred when he swore at an Oklahoma City television reporter who wanted to know where he was at the time of the September 11 attacks. Largent lost to Henry by just under 7,000 votes.

When Largent retired, former NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle said, "It took only seven months to find my successor, but it will be years before anyone with the character, human decency and on-the-field skills will be found to replace Steve Largent."
Largent's farewell reception featured videotaped congratulations from two presidents - Ronald Reagan and George Bush.
Largent told the crowd, "I wish I was as neat as you all think I am, but I'm not."
He was shrewd and tough. He would give defensive backs sportsmanlike "nice-play" taps with a hand as he was getting up after being tackled, a gesture that discouraged cheap shots.
His toughness was never more evident than in 1988. Denver safety Mike Harden threw a right forearm to the left side of Largent's face, shattering the facemask, dislodging teeth and leaving Largent briefly unconscious and with a sprained left knee. Fourteen weeks later, Harden intercepted a pass intended for Brian Blades and headed up the sideline. Largent took off after him like a cruise missile and hit him so hard he fumbled. Largent recovered the ball.



STEVE LARGENT'S HALL OF FAME INDUCTION SPEECH 1995.

"Thank you for your kindness to me over the years & thank you for the honor of this moment. I want to share this honor equally with my wife Terry, who has made every good thing in my life possible. I also want to share it with my children: Kyle, Casie, Kelly & Kramer, who make my life wonderful. My most significant accomplishments have always come in victory and defeat, especially Jim Zorn & Dave Krieg. My story, like so many others, is a story of mentors. Of people who challenged me when I questioned myself. Of people who believed in me against all the evidence.

My mother never missed a game or a practice, and kept me from quitting football as a sophomore in high school. My grandfather stepped into the gap after my parents were divorced. My coaches--Jerry Rhome, Steve Moore, Chuck Knox & Jerry Potter-- taught me the game of football and the meaning of leadership. When I close my eyes, I still hear their voices. They still shape my character and direct my life. I was one of those players who was labeled early as: "too small, too slow".

I came to depend on people who actually saw me as bigger and faster than I was. We all need people who believe in us. They expand the boundaries we place upon our lives. In my case, their influence did more than improve my performance in this great game, it filled a hollowness I could not explain, or even understand. When a child grows up without a father, there is an empty place where someone must stand, providing an example of character and confidence. If no one takes that place, a child can live in a shadow all their lives. Their emptiness is often filled by despair, by anger, or even violence.



Quarterback Jim Zorn:
"He brings a lot of good information back to the huddle. He doesn't just think of himself. He's seeing how other receivers can get open."
"He can make his legs go one way and his upper body go another way." -

Seattle offensive coach Jerry Rhome:
"I'd rather have a guy like Largent, who can change directions, than the fastest guy in the world."

Source: Unknown
The Pride of Z-eattle By Jim Natal
Zorn also has a unique trio of favorite receivers, each with his own style of running a pass pattern. Coming out of the backfield, Don Testerman doesn't so much run a pass pattern as charge it. Sherman Smith, the other running back [who was a receiver in college], doesn't run either; he's so smooth he flows. As for Steve Largent, the Seahawks' leading wide receiver, Zorn has called him "a circus in himself." Zorn divided his passes almost equally between the three of them last year, Largent catching 33 passes, Testerman 31 and Smith 30.



Steve Largent:
"You can't think about the Kingdome without thinking about the fans. They're the ones who gave this gray, drab building an atmosphere... I've got a lot of blood, sweat and tears invested in that building. The memories are indelibly etched in my mind. I still follow the team every day...It is a place where we worked - a stark, gray building that reflected the type of team we were: a no-frills, down-to-business-type franchise."
"The thing that motivates me more than anything else is people telling me I can't do something."

Largent knows he'll never run a 4.3 forty, so he has worked on becoming the best move maker in football. He has honed his concentration so it will cut through rain, sleet, and helmets to the ribs.
He is a poet among panzers. If his greatness goes largely unnoticed, it's for the same reason people don't seek out marching bands to hear the flutes.

Largent's teammates call him Yoda because he is a master at making cornerbacks commit themselves, at baiting their traps.
It's the quickness of his second move that sets him free. Or the third, if he needs it. What distinguishes Largent is the body control to make that second move while the cornerback is still reacting to his first move. "It happens all the time to everybody," Dave Brown says.

December 25, 1989
DEC. 24 -- Seven thousand fans showed up at a party to say goodbye to Steve Largent after he had played his last game for the Seattle Seahawks. "I wish I was as neat as you all think I am but I'm not," Largent told the capacity crowd at the Washington State Convention Center.
Seattle's homeless will benefit from the $70,000 the party produced, including $5,500 given by Largent's teammates.
"I'm overwhelmed by all of this," he said.
Largent, the NFL's all-time leading pass receiver, never went to a Super Bowl but he became the favorite player of Seahawks fans, for his overachievements on the field and his humble demeanor off it.

Mike Haynes, Los Angeles Raiders defensive back, sent Largent a telegram, saying: "For a guy too slow and too short, you sure fooled a lot of people."

Largent, 35, also received videotape messages from President Bush and former President Reagan.

"You are one of those people who really have made a difference," Bush said.

"I offer my heartfelt thanks not only from the community of Seattle but from this president."
Said Reagan, "Several times when I've watched you, I wanted to shout, 'Win one for the Gipper.' You are truly a role model for the rest of us."

Largent said his retirement hadn't really hit him yet.
"It's just the end of another season," he said. "It may even take until next May or next September when I'm not putting on a football uniform to realize my career is over."




The end of Largents career truly marked the end of an era that we my never see the likes of again. His legacy will live on in the hearts and minds of those who were fortunate enough to watch him play his career here in Seattle. The others may have their Championships and their Superstars, but we had Steve.

This year marks the tenth anniversary of Largents enshrinment into the Hall of Fame. That means that it has been 15 years since he played his last football game. Hardly seems that long. The memory of Steve stays fresh in the mind and it seems like it will never fade away.

If we, the Seahawks, never win a Superbowl, it will be of little consequence to me because we have already won the greatest game that could have ever been played, Largents career was a 14 year long game filled with "Did You See That"?!?!

Nothing will ever match the legacy of Steve Largent. You helped me grow to love this sport with un-dying passion. I too was the guy they said was too small. They soon learned that heart hits hard and runs fast. Thank you Steve for being an inspiration to me. It was my pleasure to follow your career. I mourned the loss of you as a player for my team. I honor the memory of what you gave to us, both on and off the field.

Number "80", I will never forget. MaxHawk.

Special thanx to http://beckys-place.com for the cerimonial induction speech and many other parts of this artical and to http://thesportingnews.com

Also, you have all probably seen these but, I never tire of looking at them (added by monkey):
link

link

link

link

link

link

18 comments:

  1. You know, Largent is the one player in all of sports history who I never tire of watching reading about etc... He's my all time favorite athlete in any sport on any team. To me, Steve Largent represents everything that sports should stand for, hard work, competition, striving for excellence, character, team work, sportsmanship, and so much more.
    Even if at some time the Hawks ever draft a player who is a better athlete, they will never find another person who so aptly embodies what sportsmanship etc...stands for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude that was cool. I can still remember him catching a pass from Kreig in the back of the endzone at Brown Stadium. Vintage Largent. I was very young but that image has stayed with me until this day, as well as "the hit" in the Kingdome against Harden. I have kept my NFL Blitz VHS tape I got from SI just because it hast that footage.

    Top 5 Favorite Former Seahawks
    1. Steve Largent
    2. Kenny Easley
    3. Cortez Kennedy
    4. John L. Williams
    5. Rufus Porter 

    Posted by SF Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's some info you guys might think is interesting:

    Name-YPC career avg-YPCseason highx2

    Largent-16-19.5(1977) 18.7(1979)
    Rice-14.8-20.4(1988) 18.9(1985)
    R.Moss-15.9-19.0(1998) 18.7(2000)
    T.Owens-14.6-16.4(1998) 15.6(1997)

    One could read these numbers to show that Largent is the best reciever to ever play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After Rice anyway. And to say that Rice is clearly much better than Largent is a stretch, Rice played WAY longer, and with MUCH better offenses and QB's around him. I would love to see what Largent could have done if he played on the Niner teams Rice did, and if he'd played even close to as long. I think Rice would still be trying to catch Largent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SF Hawk, nice list! My top three are the same, but then I fall apart completely, I just cannot decide between Zorn, Dave Brown, Joe Nash, Jacob Green, John L. Williams, Curt Warner and Dave Kreig. Also, I really loved Tez, I cannot decide between him and Easley which I loved more, they are really both tied for #2 for me, with no way for me to say I liked one better than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve largent made everybody around him better. Its really too bad that Dave Krieg suffered the injuries that he did after the 83 84 campaign. he started 7-2 or 7-3 in 85 and we were left with absolutly nobody to replace him that was even remotly competent. What we ended up with was a good team without a QB and we spiraled into mediocrity. Back then the rules against dirty football weren't as tight and the way the rest of the league handled things when it came to the Hawks was, if they are good, take them out. Look at what happend to Kenny Easley. they couldn't control him and they deliberatly injured him so severely that he was never able to fully recover. He was just one of several examples that I saw in the 80s of opponants playing dirty ball against the Hawks to keep us down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which is why I have always and will always hate most of the teams in the AFC West, especially the cheatingest team of all time, the Raiders, who I simply LOATHE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. would i get my head bit off if i said that Shawn Springs is one of the my all time favorite former Seahawk?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe, he was pretty good for a while. too bad he jumped off the deep end so soon in his career.

    I have a perfect Springs Jersey ADP. I would love to do a swap for an older one with a different player or maybe a newer one with Hass or something...Interested in a swap of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you really in Maryland ADP?

    Or is that Merry land?

    What did you do, get transfered? I checked your profile and you are pro seattle sports, rock, everything. what gives?

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT POST

    That's among the best this blog has seen. It's very good to have you on board, Max.

    On topic, Largent was a leader on this team in an era when it had so much CHARACTER. I yearn for this attitude to return to the team. Hopefully we're on the right track now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, capital letters and everything.

    Thanx Bluefoot. That mean a lot to me coming from you. I put a lot of heart into it with research and adding much of my own content. I see you have been away for a few days, but are back at work. I have 4 topics in the hot topics blue section. I'm somebody now!

    I've got a lot more ideas to try out hopefully they will go over as well. I spent a number of years as an Admin at http://fanssportsboard.com. it was a great site and for a time I had a lot of fun.

    Not many Hawks fans to speak of but posters were spread across the country and a few world wide. you take a lot of heat and critisism from some of the people & that is really discouraging when you are trying to do good things.

    I designed the front page of the teams side with all the helmets and such but after too much conflict, and marital troubles, I decided to step down. Can't please them all.

    This site has now become my favorite. I have some ideas that I will bounce off of you in the future for you to consider if you don't mind. You remember I said it was hard to navigate but that was mostly due to me being unfamiliar with the site. You have done a great job here and I'm really glad to be on board. Again, thanx.

    Yer alright dispite what Alba, Blueseven, Vinny, Monkey, GOX, ADP, PaulieP, and all those other guys said about yaz...;' ]

    ReplyDelete
  13. did i ever mention Blue is one sexy beast?




    anyways, yeah im from Maryland, and never lived elsewhere, and i will be moving to Seattle within the next 4 years, after i figure out whats goin on with me and college football or AFL/CFL n stuff...just to let you know, all those Seattle things i love---Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mariners, Seahawks, Sonics and such...is all coincidence...another words i never liked one team, and then liked the others just because they're Seattle...they all have different reasons, and i was a fan of the Mariners and Sonics LONG before i was of the Seahawks

    the only Seahawk jersey i currently have is Andrew Dakota's (mine)...i have it by my weight bench in between my CPU and TV so im constantly reminded of how hard i need to work...kinda my motivation


    im pretty poor, otherwise id have a million jerseys right now lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor, I wrote the book, when My wife and I seperated I spent the next year and a half paying off her 95 Cherokee only to have it break down it was towed, and sold at Auction. she didn't tell me about it until it was too late.

    Nobody wants to barter for a perfect Shawn Springs Jersey. Damn, at least I didn't pay a lot for it at the Swap meet.

    Unless you have something else in mind, ADP, to barter for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i actually am interested, i just have nothing to give


    all my money is going towards insurance and tryouts to wherever im heading with my pre-career

    just dont burn the jersey! 

    Posted by ADP

    ReplyDelete
  16. "did i ever mention Blue is one sexy beast?"

    How is it that my gargantuan, pendulous manhood keeps coming up as a topic? Really, I do not wish to bring it up - It can be intimidating and discouraging to the less endowed. I don't want anybody to feel inadequate in this forum, it discourages participation.

    So please, as interesting and remarkable as it is, keep comments about my enormous big rig to a minimum. It's better for the blog that way.

    "This site has now become my favorite. I have some ideas that I will bounce off of you in the future for you to consider if you don't mind."

    No, in fact it's encouraged. You are a contributor. This is a round table, where no one really sits at the head and gets to make all the decisions. This site is a success because of the contibutions of all, and noone has a monopoly on good ideas.

    In other words, #12 Rules here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "This is a round table"

    I would pull up a chair, but I don't actually see one. Or an actual table for that matter.

    One thought I had in mind is a new post counter for each topic on the manage posts page.

    My other thought is taking away Monkeys bananas just for spite.

    How about adding an edit post feature along with the current delete post feature in the topics?
    I know there is a preview feature to combat my poor grammer but sometimes I see it after I post and I'm just an ass about fixing what I put in front of the whole world to see.

    Maybe a cash machine too, if thats not too much trouble.

    And a Beer dispenser?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooo, Oooo and I want my name on the contributors list to flash in all three Seahawks colors. I might could pay extra for that.

    ReplyDelete