Friday, April 15, 2005

Dolphins Interested In Trade For Alexander?

Although I do not get espn insider, I saw this on another blog site and thought it was worthy of discussion. I cannot verify the veracity but I will assume it is accurate as there were apparently several people (with insider privileges) who had also read the story.

According to espn Insider,
"Saban is exploring the possibility of trading a first-round pick in 2006 to Indianapolis for Edgerrin James or to Seattle for Shaun Alexander. If he can put together a favorable deal with one of those two teams, drafting Smith with the second pick would make a lot more sense."

Here's my take.
Alexander got us to the playoffs last season and we have no one to replace him, but, Marion Barber will likely be available in the third (for certain the second) round and will be the steal of the draft, MARK IT DOWN! I hate to use a pick on anything other than defense but we do have ten picks after all.

Bottom line is if we make this move, it MAY or may not set us back a little this season, but with more salary to play with and with two first round picks next year (one of them probably quite high) we are well ahead. I would make this move.

5 comments:

  1. Honestly, I've always like Alexander, but guys like Vinny have me convinced he can't block, can catch, and his talents are not required in the WCO.

    A few weeks back Saban said "how would we pay them" when asked about trading for Alexander or James, so I'm not sure what has changed since then.

    I still think that teams that REALLY need a RB have high enough picks to get a good one in the draft, and teams that have the cap room to afford Alexander or James don't need them.

    I would hate to see a prolonged hold out or to see him play begrudingly, but I still think that he'll be ours for the 2005 season, and then be traded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you just said alba, the only exception is that Saban really wants to trade out of that spot because no RB available is that clearly a stud and is not worth second pick overall money. After all, signing the second pick overall is about the same salary wise as signing Alexander would be. And Alexander is an established force in the NFL.

    Personally I would like to get an extra pick this year in addition to their first next year. Maybe we give them a fourth and they give us a second. Then this deal is much more attractive to me. Still I think I would have to do it as is.

    Also, there are three RB's and two QB's that are getting all the pre darft attention, but I am hearing many scouts saying that Auburn's QB, who will most likely slip quite a bit is actually much better than the two talked about as first overall. I am also hearing that there are several steals later at RB such as Barber who I mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had the time to follow college football that closely, so I'm getting an education via this blog and the fan sites about who and where we will be picking.

    I've always liked the draft show though, cuz it gives you so much optimism and promise for the coming year, which tends to carry you through the summer until the season starts.

    However, now that I've found these on-line resources, it's like the season never ended.

    I've been a Seahawks fan since they were born, but I've NEVER been THIS into it in APRIL before in my LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear someone that's seen Mo play put in their two-cents in, I've been plugging Mo getting a shot since the end of last season na dsaying exactly what you did about Shaun keeping Mo from getting any real playing time, he's a stats guy and therefore not likely to give up many carrys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Mo, and think he's great at returning, but we all know that carrying the load in college is completely different than the NFL. That being said, I think that if we lose Shaun, Mo should have the chance to compete for the job.

    ReplyDelete