Friday, April 29, 2005

Our Biggest Draft Need

First there was Trent Dilfer, with his comments on KJR Radio, plainly lambasting unnamed teammates for their lack of heart and commitment.

Then Chike Okeafor delivered his parting shots, stating, "It’s just in the attitude. There is a different attitude here. One thing over there (Seattle), I felt alone. Not surrounded by enough people who thought like me, felt like me, played like me on a day to day basis, and loved the game like me."

Then we had Rams wideout Torry Holt's comments on Saturday's ESPN's draft coverage -- When asked how the Rams managed to beat the Seahawks three times this season, said that they matched up well on paper, but three times said, "We thought we could out-mentally tough them(sic)."

First I would like to applaud Ruskell and his supporting administration for the great job they've done in rectifying the 'character' issue. But the job ain't done yet.

Mike Sando reports in the Trib some quotes that indicate Chad Brown has shared the same sentiment:

“I have played in a Super Bowl for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I have been on the No. 1-ranked defense in the league and I have been on the last-ranked defense in the league,” Brown said. “And there’s definitely a difference in attitude and consistency of preparation and focus that goes into it, and I can provide insight into that.

“I was in Seattle for eight years and have three playoff losses to show for it. I need some playoff victories and hopefully a Super Bowl victory to round out this game that has given me so much.”


I realize that Chad is actually commenting on past history, and in context, he is advertising his wares, talking about what he has to offer to the next team. But it does confirm the consensus, that this teams biggest need in the 2005 NFL draft was not defensive end, not linebacker, not wide receiver, not an edge rusher.

It was character. And they addressed this need nicely.

4 comments:

  1. Blue - I'm right behind you hoping that this is the thing that will finally make a difference.

    We've had no shortage or "characters" over the years, so let's see how we do with a major infusion of "character".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, motivated and hungry players are the new key, and I am willing to see how it works out. Although a playoff win is still required, or at least a sweep of the Muttons.

    That is a great pic of Chad, illustrates why he is great, and why he was hurt too. Get a couple of guys like that so you can rotate them or replace them when they really damage themselves. If only Kaz could elevate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. first, fuck the Rams...they can lick our balls...Torry Holt has no business talking about whats wrong with our team...if we were full strength, we would of whipped their asses like we did in the first game of the season...for 3 quarters...Torry Holt will love the hit that the Hammer has in store for him...big headed bastard


    but i do agree...I hated seeing Brown say what he said...BUT if we offered him what he wanted...he knows damn well he would of stayed and wouldnt say anything like that...i think hes just frustrated...funny how the more recent players to say we need character use it as an excuse to leave, without focusing on the fact that we are adding characters...

    Chad Brown needs to pull a Cochran...realize we are addressing these needs...its like second guessing what Ruskell is doing...

    I do think that the draft picks we got will contribute more NOW then people think...especially the the defensive ones...our special teams should be solid defensively...we still need a KR or PR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Standing ovation Blue. Couldn't agree more. I think we're setting up for a great season!


    "GO HAWKS"

    ReplyDelete