Thursday, April 14, 2005

Faith No Morris?

From Clare Farnsworth's more recent article in the PI:

SEAHAWKS NEEDS: They range from moderate to extremely high, depending on what happens with Shaun Alexander. The club "rewarded" the Pro Bowl running back by using its franchise tag on Alexander before he could become an unrestricted free agent. Alexander isn't happy with the $6.32 million tender and there's talk of him not showing up until the regular season begins. The Seahawks have given his agent permission to seek a trade, but there has been no market for a back who has averaged 1,400 rushing yards and 17 1/2 touchdowns the past four seasons. The Seahawks could take a back -- perhaps Minnesota's Marion Barber with one of their third-round picks -- as insurance should Alexander stage a prolonged no-show; or a potential or immediate replacement should Alexander not sign a long-term deal this year or be traded. One thing the club can't do is think that backup Maurice Morris can be the feature back. He's too small to withstand the pounding of running between the tackles.

Personally, I've seen smaller backs perform well for reasonably long careers. My problem with Morris is, although he is a shifty, quick, and instinctive running back, he can't break an arm tackle. I mean, literally, the guy gets laid out the first time a defender lays a hand on him. He doesn't break tackles at all.

He does well as a changeup running back, when the defense's legs are a little tired. In those circumstances, he gets good yardage before anyone can catch him. But I have to agree with Farnsworth, he is NOT starter material in the NFL.

BTW: I found this article that pretty much agrees with me after I wrote this, looking for a picture for the spread.

Bummer, because I like the guy. I bring this up because I know there are a bunch of 'Mo' lovers out there who would beg to differ. This is where your response comes in. Comment away.

13 comments:

  1. First...Faith No Morris? the phrase or the band? Faith No More is my 2nd favorite band of all time (just passed Guns N Roses...and still trailing Nirvana)


    I love Mo to death...but you are right...he cant break a tackle...BUT that is something that could be worked on...Morris is my favorite backup on the team (if you dont include Bobby Engram...in a West Coast like ours, I see the 3rd WR as a starter, too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Devil's Advocate.....

    Maurice Morris...5'11" 205
    Curtis Martin....5'11" 205
    Clinton Portis...5'11" 205
    Marshall Faulk...5'10" 211
    Edge.............6'00" 214
    Brian Westbrook..5'08" 200
    Charlie Garner...5'10" 190
    Tiki Barber......5'10" 200
    Warrick Dunn.....5'09" 180
    Ahman Green......6'00" 217


    Mo's too small?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Irish Greg, I just wanted to let you know that it's nice to see oyu lurking around in here. I have always enjoyed the stuff you've done for sites like the P-I and the way you have always added to posts, (even posts that are incredibly stupid) because you wanted to make everyone feel like they are a part. Just wanted to let you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think IrishGreg said it all...


    16 games can destroy a persons body...especially if he cant break tackles...

    it would be different if we had two running backs we could equally substitute (if SA leaves)...have a screen RB...and power...hell, we could end up with 3 RB sets...the FB, and Power Back blocking for the Screen back...

    ok im thinking too much...there is just so many possibilities...and we need something that fits the West Coast

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and just to be on topic, I was very surprised that after last years preseason games, where Morris seemed to really shine, that still there was no confidence shown in him. I really thought he would be given more opportunities last season. I realize that the coaching staff must be seeing something about him they don't like or they would give him more carries (or at least throw to him sometimes) but I just didn't see it. From what I saw of him last season, he looked to have bulked up (which is not the same thing as putting on weight) he was more muscular and defined than he had been previously, and the breakaway speed was still there. I am not sure what it is that hte coaching staff is seeing that they don't like, but if it's just a size thing, then they are being silly. There are (as has already been pointed out) many RBs in the league presently and in the past who are no bigger and even smaller than Morris. How about Joe Morris, remember him? I can't help but think of Joe Morris when I see Mauirce last name on the back of his jersey, they are about the same size and both run somewhat similarily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come to think of it, Joe Morris was only like 5'9", he was even smaller and less muscular than our Morris. The knock on him must be something other than his size, there simply MUST be something the coaching staff is seeing they don't like. Something that we as fans aren't privvy to or just don't notice because we see him so seldom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank god for the Oegon Ducks, the only team with uglier uniforms than the Seahawks blue on blue pajamas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. His biggest knock, again, is that he can't even break an arm tackle. It even shows in his kick returns.

    And Vinny-- It's NOT about his size. That wasn't my point.

    I have one problem with RB's that are too specialized for situations -- If one guy is good for screens, another for running up the middle, another for blocking -- It makes it too easy for the defense to read and substitute accordingly. It really nullifies your advantage. All they have to do is look out for certain plays for certain people, and send in the right matchup.

    The only real strategic advantage in a RB by committee is to keep them fresh, so they can go balls-to-the-wall for the short duration they are in play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue, I was responding to the comments made by Farnsworth. The comments you highlighted.

    My point was that, if he can toughen up by getting into conditioning programs and he can add a little more power, he'll be harder to tackle. I still say he deserves a shot behind the Starting Line.

    And I like teh way Irish thinks, good point about stepping on Shaun's ego, now there's nothing stopping them from giving Mo a look.

    Especially if Shaun sits out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vinny,

    What do you think of Mo's pass protection vs. Alexander's?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blue, I couldn't really tell you without going back and looking at some tapes. But give me a day or two and I'll get back to ya.

    And if we take care of the weaker Right Side the HB won't have as tough a time. But as I said I couldn't tell ya at this point.

    But that's a very good point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just trying to find ways to NOT spend money.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gotcha. $300k Doesn't go too far in today's NFL.

    ReplyDelete