Saturday, April 23, 2005

So Much for National Respect

While personally I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude to our selections, since they were not packed with sexy names, or LB, DE and WR help, we're going to get killed in the media as having a very bad draft.

Case in point, by our "friend" John Clayton of ESPN:

Losers
• Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks were victims of circumstance. Timing is everything and their timing was all wrong. They found that out when they tried to trade halfback Shaun Alexander during an offseason that featured the best running back draft in years. Drafting No. 23, the Seahawks tried to be aggressive in trade talks, but they hit the stingiest first round for trades in recent memory. The plan was to offer a third- and fourth-rounder to move up to get Erasmus James, Demarcus Ware or Thomas Davis. Nobody bit on the trades. They tried to offer a second-rounder in 2006 to entice teams. Nobody wanted to move, so the Seahawks traded back to take center Chris Spencer. General manager Tim Ruskell loves USC middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu, but the second round might have been a little early. In the third round the Seahawks got David Greene to groom as a backup quarterback.

4 comments:

  1. ESPN can take the "respect" they have for the Seahawks and shove it up their Clayton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever the Seahawks came up, they either cut to commercial, or betrayed their ignorance by their off-base speculations about our team needs.

    I'm actually revieved that we didn't yake E. James. Hi sinjury history really bothered me. We've had enough of that.

    My biggest concern, is how in the hell are we going to get a pass rush? How many impact pass rushers are left in rounds 4-7?

    I'm guessing slim to none, and I'm not sure our salary cap has any more free agency miracles left in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Shove it up their Clayton."

    Oh.....my......GOD!

    I just shot pop outta my nose man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shove it up their Clayton! I love it!
    I didn't get the feeling that he brutalized us here, just that he thought we reached alot like most people will be saying tomorrow. You know, the one thing about Tatupu is that RUskell was 100% sold on that kid. Word is out that Tatupu was Ruskells pick all the way, som eof you guys know of Rob Rang form .net, here's what he said after spending the day with the Hawks FO today,
    "Tatupu was the reason they didn't trade up in the 1st round. They absolutely wanted Tatupu. BTW - Spencer would have been taken by Pitt, NWE, etc so this was no reach.
    Blackstock is dropping because he is so one dimensional.
    BTW - in my final mock had Seattle taking Spencer in the 2nd round and had Tatupu in the second round too...
    Funny that everyone is so upset about Tatupu. You'll see a zillion Tatupu jerseys being worn by fans a few years from now. Absolutely a Zach Thomas clone..."

    I will say this, I really like Tatupu's heart, I have done alot of reading about him since I covered his pick, and EVERYTHING I read about him says that he is all about heart and character which is why Ruskell took him. WE'll see if he can cut it, but after my initial reaction of being pissed I am cooling off a bit and willl take a wait and see attitude.

    ReplyDelete