Thursday, April 28, 2005

Endangered Species



DISCLAIMER I: Keep in mind, this is purely from the money angle so I hope this doesn't degenerate into a p*ssing contest on who we should keep.

DISCLAIMER II: Although the June 1st cuts allow the team to spread the cap hit, in general you have to be careful not to throw caution into the wind and pile up the dead cap money. You save money for the oncoming season, but that money still has to be paid and accumulates rather quickly in future dead cap.As it stands today, the Seahawks will carry $0 in dead cap into 2006 (more proof that the Rams knuckleheads who keep wishing we were in 'cap hell' are clueless, but we already knew that). Any cuts after June 1st will automatically generate dead cap space (if they are players with unamoratized signing bonuses).

Here is what I call our "Endangered Species" list.

Bobby Taylor (cap savings $2 million)
Cedric Woodard (cap savings $1.7 million)
Koren Robinson (cap savings $1.35 million)
Bobby Engram (cap savings $1.2 million)
Jerramy Stevens (cap savings $788,000)

Taylor is about 99% a given to be let go, because we need that money for the rookies.After that, if we are looking at an edge rusher and a veteran QB or other June 1st releases, other moves will have to be made -- and I'd say one of the players on the above list are likely targets.

The other 'ace in the hole' is if they sign Shaun Alexander to a long-term deal in July -- that should reduce his cap hit (currently $6.3 million as the franchise player) a few million.

7 comments:

  1. IG2, I was really looking for a pissing contest too... guess I'll go to .net and post a Shaun Alexander rocks/sucks disertation. Gotta agree on Bobby Taylor, he's 3rd on the RCB depth chart now, no way they are gonna pay that much for him. And I just can't see anyway that Karen stays on the team, that field is just plain too crowded, as much as I like him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IG - it's SO nice to have you on the street! I love the capologist info you so freely share here and in the PI site. Are you linking to this story from the PI site?

    A couple of tips. If you're not gonna us a picture with your article, remember to remove the [img src...] tag from your post.

    If you would like assistance finding/posting pix with your stories, let me know and I'll be glad to assist. (I am a little anal that way!!)

    And to the content of the story, I'm wondering if the K-Rob project is an ego thing with Holmy, in that he wants to prove he can turn this kid around and is convincing (digging his heals in?) Ruskell to keep him for this reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good mornin, IG, I love the way you start my day. Coffee seems to taste a little better while looking over salary cap info, and the boss isn't near as ugly.

    Having said that, I agree with your list, although the thought of Woodard being on the bubble is new to me. But it makes sense. We are pretty deep at DT.

    Thanks too, IG, for forseeing the urine war and 'calming the waters' first.

    JoshSC: I just can't see anyway that Karen stays on the team LOL! She's gonna be angry! Do we have a new nickname here?

    ADP: I disagree about Engram. Judging a player for one play in one game smacks of fingerpointing, blameshifting, scapegoating, and it's UNTEAM.

    One play(er) does not lose a game. Of all people, you should know that. There were a dozen blown opportunities before that one, any of which could have affected the outcome of the game. To single him out just doesn't make sense to me, especially when he was previously our most reliable reciever.

    I have to hand it to you, though. You only want to cut him because you care so much, and that play hurts like hell. I'm with you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IG - In the top drop down list on the right, scroll down and check out the How to Blog page. It includes tips for adding a graphic and resizing it, as well as shortening embedded URLs, like this one.

    Here are three good pics to use for your story. I've put back the default [img src=...] code so once you decide on which one you want to use, all you have to do is copy the URL and paste it over the ENTER_URL_HERE text.

    If you get stuck, just put something out in the Flooble and Blue, Monkey or I will be glad to assist.

    Choice 1
    Choice 2
    Choice

    In case you don't like either of htese, to find other internet graphics, choose the More Seahawks Links from the second drop down menu on the right, and scroll down to the Blogger Tools list of links.

    I usually use Google and to get these I searched on "Endangered Species"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another tip that keeps from having to double your work, and is good for driving traffic to this site, is to post links to your piece in the other fan forums.

    At the bottom of each post, you'll notice that the timestamp to the left of the Comment links is a hot link itself.

    If you click this, it will create a direct link to that post. Just copy the URL from your browser and you can post it in the other fan forum(s) with maybe a little teaser copy to get them to click through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! If you go into the Compose tab while in Edit mode, you can click and drag that graphic and shrink it proportionally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the list is very accurate, but I don't think either Koren or Stevens will be cut. They're both pet projects, Stevens isn't that big of a cap savings, and Koren is coming up on a contract year, so I think we'll give him this season and let him go free agent if it doesn't work out. With Engram, I would hate to see him go. For my money, he's the best receiver in the league for a third down situation. Woodard and Taylor are gone in my opinion, just too expensive for the production we get out of them.

    ReplyDelete