Friday, March 04, 2005

Dilfer trade part dux

I am posting this because of all the questions that were asked of me after the last post. This seems to me to be far more than just a rumor, it really seems like something we will see action on soon.

"Cleveland’s pursuit of Seattle quarterback Trent Dilfer could hinge on the Browns’ ability to re-sign Kelly Holcombe. The Browns have explored the possibility of acquiring Dilfer by trade.
San Francisco is another team with interest in Dilfer.
The Seahawks have not shopped Dilfer to other teams, but they would presumably allow their backup quarterback to pursue a starting job if another team offered fair value in a trade. …" Seattle Tribune

S.I. rumors "The Browns have talked to Seattle about trading for Super Bowl-winning quarterback Trent Dilfer. Dilfer was with the Ravens in 2000 when Browns GM Phil Savage was there. coach Romeo Crennel said the Browns are still trying to re-sign free agent Kelly Holcomb, but they're prepared to go to Plan B and Plan C if need be. -- Cleveland Plain Dealer"

11 comments:

  1. I'm still at a loss as to what we could get from the Browns for him. Nothing jumps out at me, except one of their LB's I'm sure they want to keep.

    I bet they give the Surtain deal priority-- If they fill their CB need, it probably affects who they are willing to take in return for Dil.

    Also, the Niners are reportedly interested in him. I would't want that. I like him too much to root against him twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed Bluefoot, I too would find it almost impossible to root against him he's just so darn likeable. Although I think it may be good that the Niners are also interested in that it may make the Browns up the ante. I don't know who the Hawks are looking at either, possibly a middle to low round pick(s)? Possibly a LBer? I don't know either, but at this point I would be open to just about any kind of help we can get for a player we no longer really need. Seneca is ready to be the #2 guy making Dilfer unnecessary, so a trade just makes sense, whatever we get for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. check, I came to this thread to say what you said...

    try to get a 2nd round pick in the deal for dilfer...and use OUR OWN 2nd round pick on Surtain...so technically we move up in the draft, get surtain, only costing us Dilfer

    now THATS a deal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Surtain ly would be a great deal, I'm just not sure we could get a second for Dilfer. Maybe, but I think more likely a third or fourth, still wouldn't be a bad deal though anyway you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Shonuff, that takes the cake!!!

    However, I think we could get a good pick for Simmons and Dilfer. That would be more like picking up a ping pong ball with your bajina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now ESPN radio is reporting this Dilfer to the Browns thing on their sports break, usually a sure sign that things are heating up. I think it's getting serious now, ESPN doesn't usually jump the gun too far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez Bluefoot, I hadn't thought of including Simmons in a deal. That may be why ESPN radio is now announcing this potential deal, maybe the Seahawks are trying to get a deal done before they cut Simmons on Monday. Like I said before, I think this has the potential to be the most productive deal we make this offseason if we do it right. I am really getting the feeling that it's getting close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the same ESPN that said Shaq was out for the year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The most productive deal had better be the one they do with Alexander.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This from the Trib this morning; "The Cleveland Browns’ interest in Seattle quarterback Trent Dilfer figures to grow after Kelly Holcomb signed with Buffalo on Friday. Cleveland explored trade talks with Seattle even while management was attempting to re-sign Holcomb. Browns GM Phil Savage acknowledged those talks for the first time Friday. “We have talked – not specifics, but we have certainly talked,” Savage told The Associated Press. ..."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could we get first rounder for Dilfer form them?

    How about Dilfer and Simmons?

    ReplyDelete