Monday, March 07, 2005

It's official, Okeafor is gone.

From the Seattle Times, "The Seahawks have lost another player in free agency, as defensive end Chike Okeafor reached an agreement on a multi-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals Monday afternoon.

Okeafor, who turns 29 later this month, chose the Cardinals over the Seahawks, though sources say both teams' contract offers were comparable."

I think that while it's obvious that the loss is unfortunate, because Okeafor is a decent player, two other things jump out at me here.
First, he went to an up and coming division rival, not good!
Second, and perhaps more importantly, he chose to leave in spite of the fact that the two contracts were comparable and in spite of the fact that we were a playoff team last year and the Cards never are. What does this say about the state of the team? In light of this and the comments from other players I have read (perhaps most notably the Dilfer phone call to KJR) I believe that we may have some rather serious locker room problems that need to get fixed double time. Players don't normally choose to upend their lives and move to a new city to play on a lesser team, in spite of roughly equivalent contract offers unles there are other problems the average fan is unaware of. For me this news is very unsettling, not just because we lost a good player and not just because he went to a division rival, but because it hints at deeper problems within the team, that most of us were probably unaware of. I don't like what this departure implies one little bit.

10 comments:

  1. Did it cross your' mind they're getting rid of the problems as we speak.

    Perhaps Lucas and Simmons were a couple of players he was talking about. Maybe even Okeafor(though I doubt that one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone was saying that some changes needed to be made and they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, the first post sounded bad, no offense monkey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember, Okeafor is a very unusual dude. He goes to the beat of his own drummer. You never know what he liked about the Arizona- It could be the cactus juice, for all we know. To say he wanted to leave because of the team attitude may be jumping to conclusions.

    I've got a feeling the DE we have in that postion this coming season will have better stats at the end of the season than he did in '04.

    I don't want to see him lining up across from Terry, however. I hope we pick up Turley in June!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually I was eluding to Okeafor being allowed to leave because of 'his' attitude.

    And I agree 100% on the right Tackle situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There'll probably be a couple offensive players in there though. HB,WR,OL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. is Kyle Turley even rumored or is this just optimism? I would like him to be on our team, but I haven't read anything about him and us anywhere

    also...we desperately need a veteren player on defense...Brown and Taylor are good for their respected 'sections'...but 2 players is not enough...

    if the FO keeps playing around, we're going to end up with a bunch of 3year pros or less starting every position on defense...

    sign
    -hartwell
    -dyson
    -turley
    -pork chop
    -tobeck
    -fisher

    trade
    -surtain (yes add 2 CBs)

    I honestly think this is possible through our cap space...i mean 10 freaking million for goodness sake

    you can't tell me thats not enough to feed 7 guys' kids...none of them are related to Latrell Spreewell, either

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to question the addition of two cornerbacks. I like everything else you talked about, but I leave Dyson out of it. We have a great CB, with a lot of future in Trufant. No need for another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, 7 kids...

    I'm guessing, ADP that from the point of view of a cornerback like yourself, you can never have too many good corners?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you guys are right, that I'm reading too much into this thing but, his comments really don't help me believe that. From the Seattle P-I, "Tell you what, Seattle's offer was right there," said Andrew Simms, Okeafor's agent. "Chike went with Arizona for reasons that only Chike can probably explain. But he felt comfortable there and he felt they were heading in the right direction."

    They were heading in the right direction, and what, we aren't? I really suspect there is much more to this than we are hearing. I agree that Okeafor is an odd duck, but no one likes moving if they don't have to. Especially when the money is the same and the team is better. There just had to be other reasons for this move.

    ReplyDelete